Trajectory in a non inertial frame

In summary: The other half is to find the equation of the line that connects the points (x, y) and (x', y') in the rotating frame.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
The hallmark of an inertial reference frame is that any object which is subject to zero net force will travel in a straight line at constant speed. To illustrate this, consider the following experiment: I am standing on the ground (which we shall take to be an inertial frame) beside a perfectly flat horizontal turntable, rotating with constant angular velocity ω. I lean over and shove a frictionless puck so that it slides across the turntable, straight through the center. The puck is subject to zero net force and, as seen from my inertial frame, travels in a straight line. Describe the puck's path as observed by someone sitting at rest on the turntable. This requires careful thought, but you should be able to get a qualitative picture. For a quantitative picture, it helps to use polar coordinates.
Relevant Equations
r = r*ur
v = r*ur + wru(theta)
Well, make the center of the polar coordinates at the center of the turntable, so put r along the ro initial.
I am well known that to someone who is rest on the turntable, the equations will be the follow:

dr/dt = ro - vt

If the turntable route with angular velocity w,

dtheta/dt = -wt

We could go on with this and finish the question.

But i want to know about the other way that i think to resolve the question starting by the velocities:

We will have v = v = r*ur + wr*u(theta)
v = -v*ur - w(ro-vt)u(theta)

I don't know how should i proceed here..

Physics news on Phys.org
To make it simpler, you might consider the puck to be released from the centre of the table. If the (polar) coordinates of the puck in the lab frame are ##(r, \theta) = (vt, 0)##, then what are the polar coordinates of the puck in the rotating frame? It might help to draw a quick sketch at some time ##t##.

Once you have time parameterised ##r## and ##\theta##, you can then eliminate ##t##. What sort of shape do you get?

etotheipi said:
To make it simpler, you might consider the puck to be released from the centre of the table. If the (polar) coordinates of the puck in the lab frame are ##(r, \theta) = (vt, 0)##, then what are the polar coordinates of the puck in the rotating frame? It might help to draw a quick sketch at some time ##t##.

Once you have time parameterised ##r## and ##\theta##, you can then eliminate ##t##. What sort of shape do you get?
Just to simplify the shape

r = vt
theta = wt

r = v*theta/w

r = K*theta

A type of spiral.

Well, in my question and your example it's easier see the motion by take it directly, but i am confused if i tried to do it starting with the velocity.

Your example:
the minus sign because to someone in rest at the center, he doesn't route, the stone or whatever, that starts a moving this spiral.

v = v*ur ´- wr*utheta
v = v*ur - wvt*utheta

Make sense i try to integrate this? I think not, maybe is this a dead end and have to do the first approach?

1589276193387.png

You can try a velocity approach as well. It's perhaps easiest in Cartesian coordinates. In the lab frame, the velocity might be ##\vec{v} = v \hat{x}##, or more succinctly ##v_x = v##.

You might then try and find what the components of velocity ##v_x'## and ##v_y'## are in a rotating frame (with rotating ##x'## and ##y'## axes.

But be careful: the ##\hat{x}'## and ##\hat{y}'## basis vectors are also functions of time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes LCSphysicist
Likes etotheipi

1. What is a non-inertial frame?

A non-inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's laws of motion do not hold true. This can occur when the frame is accelerating or rotating.

2. How does trajectory differ in a non-inertial frame?

In a non-inertial frame, the trajectory of an object will appear to be curved or deflected due to the acceleration or rotation of the frame. This is known as the Coriolis effect.

3. Can the trajectory of an object be predicted in a non-inertial frame?

Yes, the trajectory of an object in a non-inertial frame can still be predicted using equations that take into account the acceleration or rotation of the frame. However, these equations are more complex than those used in an inertial frame.

4. How does the Coriolis effect affect trajectory?

The Coriolis effect causes the trajectory of an object in a non-inertial frame to appear to curve to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere. This is due to the rotation of the Earth.

5. Can the Coriolis effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Coriolis effect can be observed in everyday life, particularly in weather patterns such as the rotation of hurricanes and the direction of winds. It can also be seen in the trajectory of objects such as missiles and projectiles.