Transfer characteristic of this circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the relationship between input and output voltages when the input voltage is above +5 V or below -5 V. The diodes being reverse biased in these cases causes confusion, but it is suggested to draw the circuit and consider the effects of the diodes being cut off. The use of Kirchoff's voltage law is also mentioned, but the lack of given current makes it difficult. Alternatively, a formula can be written for the current in terms of Vi and used to find the output voltage. The suggestion to consider the effects of a shorted battery and adding in the diode is also made. However, it is advised to stick to algebra for a more accurate solution.
Flying_Dutchman
Homework Statement
What would be the input voltage and output voltage relation for input voltage values
1. -5<Vi<5
2. Vi<=-5
3. Vi>=5
Relevant Equations
V=IR
Assume constant voltage drop model
15826528330785185152945627534342.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Flying_Dutchman said:
I was trying to obtain a graph between the input and output voltage .

For the first case when input voltage vis between +5 and -5 volt I obtained the input voltage same as output voltage since the diodes will be reverse biased .

I just couldn't find the relation between these voltages when input voltage is below -5 V and above +5
So far so good.

When the input goes above +5 V, what happens to the diodes? Which one changes?
The diodes that are cut off (reversed bias) can be ignored as open cct. So draw what's left and see what you think will happen.

You need to show what you're doing and people will comment.

15826590146257995968003440983700.jpg

When input is above 5V only this branch conducts because the diode will be forward biased . I tried using Kirchoffs voltage law to find the relation between input output voltages but for that i need current that is not given.

You could write a formula for the current in terms of Vi.
Then use that current to get a fromula for the output

Or an intuitive way is to ask, first, what if the battery and diode were shorted: what would Vout be then?
And if you put the battery back in, what difference does that make?
Then just add in the diode as well.

Edit: Maybe stick to the algebra! My intuition wasn't as good as I thought!

Last edited:

1. What is the transfer characteristic of a circuit?

The transfer characteristic of a circuit is a graphical representation of the relationship between the input and output signals of the circuit. It shows how the output signal changes in response to variations in the input signal.

2. How is the transfer characteristic of a circuit measured?

The transfer characteristic of a circuit can be measured by applying a range of input signals to the circuit and measuring the corresponding output signals. These values can then be plotted on a graph to show the transfer characteristic.

3. What factors affect the transfer characteristic of a circuit?

The transfer characteristic of a circuit can be affected by various factors such as the components used in the circuit, the circuit design, and external factors such as temperature and noise. These factors can cause variations in the output signal and impact the overall transfer characteristic.

4. How can the transfer characteristic of a circuit be improved?

The transfer characteristic of a circuit can be improved by using high-quality components, optimizing the circuit design, and minimizing external factors that can affect the signal. Additionally, using feedback techniques such as negative feedback can also help improve the transfer characteristic of a circuit.

5. What is the significance of the transfer characteristic in circuit analysis?

The transfer characteristic is an important tool in circuit analysis as it helps in understanding the behavior of a circuit. It allows engineers to predict the output signal for a given input and make necessary adjustments to improve the circuit's performance.