Transfer Function and State Space Analysis of Op-Amp circuit

In summary, the problem is to find the transfer function and state space representation of a circuit involving a noninverting operational amplifier. The transfer function is found by making substitutions and rearranging equations, and the state space representation involves getting everything on one side of the equation under a common denominator.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/690/0tab.png
I'm asked to find the transfer function and then find the state space representation and seem to be stuck.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My textbook states that for a noninverting operational amplifier shown below

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/10/zmir.png

[itex]\frac{V_{o}(s)}{V_{i}(s)} = \frac{A}{1 + frac{AZ_{1}(s)}{Z_{1}(s) + Z_{2}(s)}}[/itex]

and for large A

[itex]\frac{V_{o}(s)}{V_{i}(s)} = \frac{Z_{1}(s) + Z_{2}(s)}{Z_{1}(s)}[/itex]

For my circuit

[PLAIN]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/690/0tab.png

I'll make the follow substitutions

[itex]R_{4} = 110 KΩ[/itex]
[itex]C_{2} = 4 μF[/itex]
[itex]R_{3} = 600 KΩ[/itex]
[itex]R_{2} = 400 KΩ[/itex]
[itex]C_{1} = 4 μF[/itex]
[itex]R_{1} = 600 KΩ[/itex]

Now then

[itex]Z_{1}(s) = R_{2} + (C_{1}s + \frac{1}{R_{1}})^{-1}[/itex]
[itex]Z_{2}(s) = R_{3} + (C_{2}s + \frac{1}{R_{4}})^{-1}[/itex]

Hence for my circuit the transfer function is

[itex]\frac{V_{o}(s)}{V_{i}(s)} = \frac{Z_{1}(s) + Z_{2}(s)}{Z_{1}(s)} = \frac{R_{2} + (C_{1}s + \frac{1}{R_{1}})^{-1} + R_{3} + (C_{2}s + \frac{1}{R_{4}})^{-1}}{R_{2} + (C_{1}s + \frac{1}{R_{1}})^{-1}}[/itex]

I can rearrange and get

[itex]V_{o}(s)(R_{2} + (C_{1}s + \frac{1}{R_{1}})^{-1}) = V_{i}(s)(R_{2} + (C_{1}s + \frac{1}{R_{1}})^{-1} + R_{3} + (C_{2}s + \frac{1}{R_{4}})^{-1})[/itex]
[itex]R_{2}V_{o}(s) + \frac{R_{1}}{C_{1}R_{1}s + 1}V_{o}(s) = R_{2}V_{i}(s) + \frac{R_{1}}{C_{1}R_{1}s + 1}V_{i}(s) + R_{3}V_{i}(s) + \frac{R_{4}}{C_{2}R_{1}s + 1}V_{i}(s)[/itex]
[itex]L^{-1}(R_{2}V_{o}(s)) + \frac{\frac{1}{C_{1}}}{s + \frac{1}{C_{1}R_{1}}}V_{o}(s) = L^{-1}(R_{2}V_{i}(s) + R_{3}V_{i}(s)) + \frac{\frac{1}{C_{1}}}{s + \frac{1}{C_{1}R_{1}}}V_{i}(s) + \frac{\frac{1}{C_{2}}}{s + \frac{1}{C_{2}R_{4}}}V_{i}(s)[/itex]
[itex]R_{2}V_{o}(t) + \frac{1}{C_{1}}L^{-1}(\frac{V_{o}(s)}{s + \frac{1}{C_{1}R_{1}}}) = (R_{2} + R_{3})V_{i}(t) + \frac{1}{C_{1}}L^{-1}(\frac{V_{i}(s)}{s + \frac{1}{C_{1}R_{1}}}) + \frac{1}{C_{2}}L^{-1}(\frac{V_{i}(s)}{s + \frac{1}{C_{2}R_{4}}})[/itex]

I'm not sure how to evaluate this further

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
starting here

R2Vo(s)+[itex]\frac{R1}{C1R1s+1}[/itex]Vo(s)=R2Vi(s)+[itex]\frac{R1}{C1R1s+1}[/itex]Vi(s)+R3Vi(s)+[itex]\frac{R4}{C2R1s+1}[/itex]Vi(s)

I would get everything on one side of the equation under a common denominator. I'll do the left half of an equation.

[itex]\frac{R2(C1R1s+1)}{C1R1s+1}[/itex]Vo(s)+[itex]\frac{R1}{C1R1s+1}[/itex]Vo(s)=...

[itex]\frac{R2(C1R1s+1)+R2}{C1R1s+1}[/itex]Vo(s)=...

You do the right half. Then you can get it in the standard form for a transfer function.

We'll address the state space work when you get there

1. What is a transfer function in the context of Op-Amp circuits?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output signals of an Op-Amp circuit. It describes how the circuit amplifies or attenuates the input signal at different frequencies.

2. How is a transfer function derived for an Op-Amp circuit?

The transfer function is derived by analyzing the circuit using circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. The resulting equations are then manipulated to obtain a ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage, which is the transfer function.

3. What is the significance of the poles and zeros in a transfer function?

The poles and zeros in a transfer function represent the frequencies at which the circuit will exhibit maximum amplification or attenuation. The number and location of poles and zeros can also indicate the stability and frequency response of the circuit.

4. How does state space analysis differ from transfer function analysis for Op-Amp circuits?

State space analysis is a more general and versatile method of analyzing dynamic systems, including Op-Amp circuits. It involves representing the circuit in terms of state variables and their derivatives, rather than just the input and output signals. This allows for a more comprehensive analysis of the system's behavior.

5. Can state space analysis be used to design Op-Amp circuits?

Yes, state space analysis can be used for the design of Op-Amp circuits. It allows for the incorporation of additional parameters and constraints, such as bandwidth and stability, in the design process. However, transfer function analysis is often preferred for its simplicity and familiarity in circuit design.