Transfering files from slave HD

• Thread starter JG89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transferring files from an old hard drive with important data onto a new computer with Windows Vista. The old hard drive was set to slave and most files were able to be accessed, but one folder showed an "Access Is Denied" error. The solution was to take ownership of the folder and transfer the files successfully. It is also mentioned that the previous BSOD error was due to incompatible drivers from the old computer.
JG89
I recently got a new computer with Windows Vista on it. I got rid of my old computer that had Windows XP, but kept the old HD (MAXTOR 5T030H3) as it has some important files on it. I was hoping I could install the old HD into the new computer and burn the files to a dvd or something, but for some reason whenever I start up the computer with the old HD in it, I get a blue error screen. I'm assuming this is because the old HD isn't compatible with the new computer.

But I was able to put the old HD into the new computer and set it to slave. So I turn on my computer and I have a C drive (new HD) and a D drive (old HD). I am able to view, copy & paste most files from my old HD, but one of the folders won't open. Whenever I try to open it, it says Access Is Denied.

Is there anyway I can transfer over the files from that folder to the other HD?

Computer science news on Phys.org
...and the reason for the BSOD error when you install it is it has windows on it and the drivers for the old computer won't play well with the new hardware.

Thanks guys. Taking ownership worked perfectly. :D

1. How do I transfer files from a slave hard drive to my main hard drive?

To transfer files from a slave hard drive to your main hard drive, you can use a data transfer cable or connect the slave hard drive to your computer as a secondary drive. Then, you can simply drag and drop or copy and paste the files from the slave drive to your main drive.

2. Can I transfer files from a slave hard drive to a different computer?

Yes, you can transfer files from a slave hard drive to a different computer by connecting the slave drive as a secondary drive in the new computer. Alternatively, you can use a data transfer cable to transfer the files directly from the slave drive to the new computer.

3. Is it possible to transfer specific files from a slave hard drive?

Yes, you can transfer specific files from a slave hard drive by selecting them and then copying or moving them to your main hard drive. You can also use a data transfer software to select and transfer specific files from the slave drive.

4. Do I need any special software to transfer files from a slave hard drive?

In most cases, you do not need any special software to transfer files from a slave hard drive. However, if you want to transfer files selectively or if the slave drive is damaged, you may need to use a data recovery or transfer software.

5. Can I transfer files from a slave hard drive to a USB drive?

Yes, you can transfer files from a slave hard drive to a USB drive by connecting both drives to your computer. Then, you can simply drag and drop or copy and paste the files from the slave drive to the USB drive.