Transferring from an Indiana CC to UIUC

In summary: I'm not sure if Indiana or Illinois has a better shot at getting me into UIUC, but I wanted to mention them both.In summary, if you are a resident of Indiana and want to apply to UIUC as a math and physics major, you should get an independent assessment of your preparation and talk to professors at the school about your chances. If you are a resident of Illinois, you may have a better chance.
Mathamans
I'd like to know if anyone has any knowledge on the difficulty of transferring to UIUC as a math and physics major from a community college in Indiana (I'm not sure if the CC in Indiana part was relevant, just thought I'd add it in case). What should I do to have a competitive application? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathamans said:
I'd like to know if anyone has any knowledge on the difficulty of transferring to UIUC as a math and physics major from a community college in Indiana (I'm not sure if the CC in Indiana part was relevant, just thought I'd add it in case). What should I do to have a competitive application? Thanks.

It's been a while since I looked at UIUC closely, so I am answering more generally about how to jump from a CC to a school in the class of UIUC. There may be more specific school admissions requirements to attend to.

Community Colleges are of varying quality in their undergrad math and physics offerings. Some are very poor. Some prepare students very well to transfer to the best public schools in their state. You would do well to get an independent assessment of where you are, and how well prepared you are.

I would contact a physics prof (an undergrad type of coordinator or contact is often identified at department web sites) at UIUC with your ACT scores, with a list of courses completed at the CC, the name of the CC, and the grades you earned in each math and physics course and talk to that faculty member about it. If you cannot figure out who that is, then another pool of good faculty contacts would be to identify the professors who teach sophomore and junior level courses in Quantum Mechanics, Electrodynamics, Mechanics, or Thermodynamics, and get their feedback on how well prepared you are and how to improve your preparation. Odds are you are not the first transfer student from your CC, and they will have a good idea how well prepared you might be. If they can't assess the situation, they can direct you to ways in which you can.

Good grades, research accomplishments, and good letters of recommendation make any application look better.

Likes Mathamans
Mathamans said:

Is there a specific reason why you picked UIUC? It is a highly competitive school to get into, especially in the middle of the program.

If you are a resident of Illinois, then you may have a better chance. If you are a resident of Indiana, I'm not sure why you are not looking at IU, Purdue, etc.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Is there a specific reason why you picked UIUC? It is a highly competitive school to get into, especially in the middle of the program.

If you are a resident of Illinois, then you may have a better chance. If you are a resident of Indiana, I'm not sure why you are not looking at IU, Purdue, etc.

Zz.

I'm not set on where I want to transfer as of right now, UIUC is just something I was considering. I've read they're ranked quite highly in mathematics and physics so I assumed they'd have great courses to prepare me for graduate school. Additionally, 44% of undergraduates conduct research so I assumed the research opportunities were quite good. These are assumptions though, of course. If I decided I really liked what I saw, I could drive a mere two hours to visit the campus and have a try at getting an interview, or at least talk to some students and faculty members. Purdue has also been a consideration, as well as IU.

1. How do I transfer from an Indiana community college to UIUC?

In order to transfer from an Indiana community college to UIUC, you will need to complete the transfer application through the UIUC Admissions website. You will also need to submit your official transcripts from your community college and any other colleges you have attended. Make sure to meet all transfer requirements and deadlines set by UIUC.

2. What are the transfer requirements for UIUC?

The transfer requirements for UIUC vary depending on the specific program you are applying to. However, in general, you will need to have completed a certain number of college credits, have a certain GPA, and have taken specific courses. You can find more detailed information about transfer requirements on the UIUC Admissions website.

3. Does UIUC accept all credits from Indiana community colleges?

UIUC will evaluate your credits from Indiana community colleges on a case-by-case basis. Some credits may transfer directly, while others may need to be evaluated by the department of your intended major. It is best to check with UIUC Admissions or the department directly to see how your credits will transfer.

4. Are there any scholarships available for transfer students at UIUC?

Yes, UIUC offers scholarships specifically for transfer students. These scholarships are based on academic merit and are highly competitive. Make sure to check the UIUC Admissions website for more information and deadlines.

5. Can I transfer to UIUC in the middle of the academic year?

Yes, UIUC does accept transfer students for both fall and spring semesters. However, it is recommended to transfer in the fall semester in order to have a smoother transition and take advantage of more course offerings. Make sure to check with UIUC Admissions for specific deadlines and requirements for mid-year transfers.