Majoring in Physics or Engineering can prepare you in both subjects?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is unsure of whether to major in physics or engineering and is considering engineering physics as a potential option. There is a discussion about the difference between applied and theoretical work and whether a degree in engineering physics would prepare the student for graduate school or a career in either sector. The conversation ends with the student clarifying that they are interested in space science and are seeking advice on which major would be a good fit for their interests.
Jessica Valverde
I'm currently in community college and will be applying next semester for transfer. The problem is, I'm not entirely sure if I'd like to major in physics or engineering. I have an interest in space science but have difficulty knowing if I'd like something more applied or theoretical. I've heard that it's difficult to switch your major once you have already transferred, so my question for you all is the following. Will a major in Engineering Physics prepare you for graduate school in either sector? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Many physicists find careers in engineering (which is applied physics), but fewer engineers find careers in pure physics. I would urge the OP to make up his mind and go toward the one really preferred. Get as much information as possible about career options, and make an informed decision.

I agree you need to make up your mind : physics or engineering. I don't recommend engineering physics if you want to go to grad school in physics or engineering. And if you decide to find a job right after undergrad school in engineering , a physics degree or engineering physics degree will put you at a disadvantage versus students seeking engineering employment with a degree in an engineering discipline like civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, aeronautical , etc, engineering ( unless perhaps you are interested in research).

Jessica Valverde said:
I have an interest in space science but have difficulty knowing if I'd like something more applied or theoretical.

Back up a bit. I thought this is a question between "physics" and "engineering"? Yet, here, you are bringing up "applied" versus "theoretical".

So which is it? And please don't tell me that you think physics is all "theoretical".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Back up a bit. I thought this is a question between "physics" and "engineering"? Yet, here, you are bringing up "applied" versus "theoretical".

So which is it? And please don't tell me that you think physics is all "theoretical".

Zz.

All I'm saying is that I'm undecided on whether I'd like to do theoretical space research or work on space technology which tends to be more applied. I'm thinking that's more in the realm of aerospace (mechanical) engineering. My question is simply whether physics engineering would be a good landing spot until I figure out what I want to do. No need for the uppity attitude, we are all here to help each other :-)

1. What is the difference between majoring in Physics and Engineering?

Physics is the study of natural phenomena, while engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create solutions to real-world problems.

2. Can I major in both Physics and Engineering?

Yes, many universities offer dual degree programs where students can major in both subjects simultaneously.

3. How will majoring in Physics and Engineering prepare me for a career?

Majoring in Physics and Engineering can provide you with a strong foundation in scientific and mathematical principles, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many industries and can lead to a variety of careers.

4. Are there any specific jobs that a degree in Physics and Engineering can prepare me for?

Some common career paths for those with a background in Physics and Engineering include research and development, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, and renewable energy.

5. Is it necessary to have a degree in both Physics and Engineering to pursue a career in these fields?

No, there are many successful professionals in these fields with a degree in either Physics or Engineering. However, having a strong understanding of both subjects can provide a well-rounded skill set and make you a more competitive job candidate.