Transferring to 4-year from CC, want to change major

In summary, transferring to 4-year from CC, and I want to change my program of study from computer science to modeling & simulation engineering. I would like to do this while still achieving my bachelor's in a reasonable time-frame. I have been admitted to the university of my choice, but I have not been to the campus. Orientation for transfer students (for the summer semester) is this month. Who should I talk to for transferring to a different program of study? Will it affect my transcript evaluation, once I finish this semester? I loathe the possibility of repeating courses. As for my reasons... for a while now, I've not been enthused about work after computer
ellipsis
Transferring to 4-year from CC, and I want to change my program of study from computer science to modeling & simulation engineering. I would like to do this while still achieving my bachelor's in a reasonable time-frame.

I have been admitted to the university of my choice, but I have not been to the campus. Orientation for transfer students (for the summer semester) is this month. Who should I talk to for transferring to a different program of study? Will it affect my transcript evaluation, once I finish this semester? I loathe the possibility of repeating courses.

As for my reasons... for a while now, I've not been enthused about work after computer science. It seems a lot of people who go into that field end up as programmers in industry, something I'm actually not too interested in.

That is to say, I love when I'm working on difficult, theoretical, and challenging projects... Not projects where the only difficulty arises from paradoxical customer desires and bureaucratic inefficiency. I don't want to be a programmer who has never used algorithms in their career.

Time is valuable, and I'd like to be doing meaningful work. I'm not sure if that's possible, or more likely, in this field... but I'm willing to try.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Talk to both departments at the university. Chances are you will be fine and nearly all the classes will be transferred. However, you may need to take an additional 2-3 classes, which will force you to take a heavy classload of 1 class per semester for 2-3 semesters or perhaps needing a full extra semester. That means you get out in 4 1/2 years instead of 4. That happens to a lot of college students. Or, tough it out with an extra class, at the risk of academic burn out.

Talk to an advisor, you are in good shape it sounds to me, although I do suggest you take classes this next semester that can apply to either program and then decide which area you want to pursue. You could just find an entirely new field now that you are at a major university that you want to explore.

CalcNerd said:
classes this next semester that can apply to either program

I'm already going to go into advanced data algorithms this summer, which is a requirement for both. The notions that I still have time and can 'sit on the fence' for a while is reassuring. Thank you for the advice.

What is the process for transferring from a community college to a 4-year university?

The specific process for transferring to a 4-year university can vary depending on the school, but generally it involves completing an application, submitting transcripts, and meeting any specific requirements set by the university. It is important to research the transfer policies of the specific universities you are interested in to ensure a smooth transfer process.

Can I change my major when transferring from a community college to a 4-year university?

Yes, it is possible to change your major when transferring to a 4-year university. However, it is important to note that some majors may have specific requirements or prerequisites that you may need to fulfill in order to be accepted into the program. It is important to research the requirements for your desired major at the university you plan to transfer to.

Will my credits from community college transfer to a 4-year university?

In most cases, credits from community college will transfer to a 4-year university. However, it is important to note that some courses may not be accepted for transfer or may only be accepted as elective credits. It is best to check with the university you plan to transfer to and provide them with a copy of your transcripts to determine which credits will transfer.

What is the benefit of transferring from a community college to a 4-year university?

Transferring from a community college to a 4-year university can provide many benefits, including cost savings, smaller class sizes, and a smoother transition to university-level coursework. Additionally, transferring can also provide access to a wider range of majors and opportunities for research and internships.

How can I ensure a successful transfer to a 4-year university?

To ensure a successful transfer, it is important to plan ahead. Research the transfer policies and requirements of the universities you are interested in, and make sure to meet all deadlines for applications and transcripts. It can also be helpful to meet with an academic advisor at both your community college and the university you plan to transfer to.