Transferring to UT Austin as a physics major.

In summary, the individual has completed most of their basic and calculus series at a community college and is now transferring to UT Austin to take all their university physics courses and advanced math such as PDE. They have not taken a physics course since high school and plan to review all the concepts during the summer to better prepare themselves for the courses. They are seeking advice on what to focus on and which calculus concepts to familiarize themselves with. The individual has also provided some background information on their preparation and challenges faced at their new school, including the importance of having a strong intuition for physics problems and a deep understanding of linear algebra. They recommend going through the entry level physics classes on MIT's open courseware and possibly enrolling in an honors series at
Marco12
Finished most of my basics and calculus series at a community college and now I'm transferring to UT Austin to take ALL my University physics courses and advanced math such as PDE. I haven't taken a physics course since High School, and I want to go over all the concepts during summer so when I begin taking the courses, I'm more familiar with it.

What should I focus on more? And which calculus concepts should I familiarize more?

Thanks in advanced :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I transferred from a CC to a "new ivey" this year to major in physics (I had taken linear algebra, differential equations, calc I/II, and calc based physics I/II before transferring).

Also over the summer before transferring I took MIT's Open-Courseware Calc III.

Here is a little bit of background on the preparation I had and the challenges which I faced.

At my new school for my first semester I enrolled in classical mechanics, advanced electromagnetism, general relativity and Fourier analysis / BVP problems (PDE class).

Surprisingly I did not crash and burn, I earned a 3.9 that semester, and a 3.85 in my next taking some even more difficult classes. I felt what prepared me best was having a strong intuition for physics problems (I had read through a lot of the Feynman lectures, and made sure I had a very strong fundamental understanding for mechanics and electromagnetism). My CC worked out of Serway and Jewett's entry level physics book and I made sure I understood nearly every problem in the first 12-13 chapters... Being a physics major you can never know too much physics.

You would be well advised to go through the entry level physics classes on MIT's open courseware to get some preparation for the classes at UT-Austin. I imagine that they have some sort of honors series, so if possible you will want to enroll in that. As far as math goes if you are comfortable with the problems in MIT's multivariable section on opencourse then I would focus more on physics. You will probably be more than prepared to do well in UT-Austin's introductory physics classes so good luck! (As a side note, you did not mention linear algebra, but as far as I am concerned that has been the most helpful branch of mathematics to have a deep understanding of. A lot of the hardest problems I have encountered have been making use of change of basis's and linear transformations, such as solving the equations of a rotating top (which is fundamentally a linear algebra problem!).

1. What are the admission requirements for transferring to UT Austin as a physics major?

To transfer to UT Austin as a physics major, you must meet the general transfer admission requirements set by the university, including completing at least 24 transferable credit hours and having a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA. You must also have completed specific coursework in physics, mathematics, and other related subjects.

2. Can I transfer to UT Austin as a physics major if I am currently enrolled in a community college?

Yes, UT Austin accepts transfer students from community colleges. However, you must still meet the university's transfer admission requirements and have completed the necessary coursework for a physics major.

3. Is there a specific GPA requirement for transferring to UT Austin as a physics major?

While there is no specific GPA requirement for transferring to UT Austin as a physics major, it is recommended that you have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA. However, admission decisions are based on a holistic review of your application, including your coursework, GPA, and other factors.

4. Are there any additional materials or documents required for transferring to UT Austin as a physics major?

In addition to meeting the general transfer admission requirements, you will also need to submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended, as well as a statement of purpose and letters of recommendation. You may also be required to submit test scores, such as the SAT or ACT.

5. What is the average acceptance rate for transferring to UT Austin as a physics major?

The acceptance rate for transfer students at UT Austin varies depending on the year and the number of applicants. However, it is generally more competitive than the overall admission rate for first-time freshmen. It is important to have a strong academic record and a well-rounded application to increase your chances of being accepted.