Transform vector to Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the equation r(t) = Asin(wt)i + Bsin(wt)j + (Ct - D)k can be transformed into cylindrical coordinates by making substitutions for i, j, and k using the appropriate unit vectors for cylindrical coordinates.
ph351
i need help transforming this equation into cylindrical coordinates...

w = omega
i = i hat
j = j hat
k = k hat
r is a vector

r(t) = Asin(wt)i + Bsin(wt)j + (Ct - D)k where w, A, B, C and D are constants.

i, j, and k are throwing me off...i know they are components of x, y and z...and i know xhat = cos(phi ro{hat}) - sin(phi phi{hat} likewise for yhat swapping sin and cos...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ph351 said:
i need help transforming this equation into cylindrical coordinates...

w = omega
i = i hat
j = j hat
k = k hat
r is a vector

r(t) = Asin(wt)i + Bsin(wt)j + (Ct - D)k where w, A, B, C and D are constants.

i, j, and k are throwing me off...i know they are components of x, y and z...and i know xhat = cos(phi ro{hat}) - sin(phi phi{hat} likewise for yhat swapping sin and cos...

HI ph351, welcome to PF!:smile:

The [itex]\mathbf{\hat{i}}[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{\hat{j}}[/itex], and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{k}}[/itex] are just another way of writing [itex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{\hat{y}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex]. Different authors use different notations, and it is usually a good idea to familiarize yourself with the notation of a text before attempting to solve problems from it, or apply equation found in it. Other common notations for the Cartesian unit vectors are [itex]\{\mathbf{\hat{e}}_x,\mathbf{\hat{e}}_y,\mathbf{\hat{e}}_z\}[/itex] and [itex]\{\mathbf{\hat{e}}_1,\mathbf{\hat{e}}_2,\mathbf{\hat{e}}_3\}[/itex].

So basically, you have [itex]\textbf{r}(t)=A\sin(\omega t)\mathbf{\hat{x}}+B\sin(\omega t)\mathbf{\hat{y}}+(Ct-D)\mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex]...and you can just make your substitutions for [itex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{y}}[/itex] in cylindrical coordinates.

Related to Transform vector to Cylindrical Coordinates

1. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to represent points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin, an angle from a reference direction, and a height or depth value.

2. Why would you need to transform a vector to cylindrical coordinates?

Transforming a vector to cylindrical coordinates can be useful in certain situations where the cylindrical coordinate system is more intuitive or convenient to use. This can include problems involving rotation or cylindrical objects.

3. How do you transform a vector to cylindrical coordinates?

The process of transforming a vector to cylindrical coordinates involves using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to calculate the distance, angle, and height values. The exact equations may vary depending on the specific coordinate system used.

4. What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates can make certain calculations and visualizations easier to understand, particularly for problems involving cylindrical symmetry. They can also be useful for describing motion in rotating systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using cylindrical coordinates?

While cylindrical coordinates can be useful in certain situations, they may not be the best choice for all problems. For example, they may not be suitable for problems that do not have cylindrical symmetry or involve complex three-dimensional shapes.