Transformation of position operator under rotations

In summary, the position operator in the momentum representation is defined as ##X_i = i\frac{\partial}{\partial p_i}##. Under rotations, the position operator should transform as ##U(R)^{-1}\mathbf{X}U(R) = R\mathbf{X}##. To show this, one can separate the angular-momentum operator into orbital and spin angular momentum and use the Heisenberg commutator relations. This yields that the infinitesimal rotation is correctly represented on the position operators, and exponentiation confirms that ##\vec{x}## are indeed vector operators under rotation. This shows that the transformation of the position operator can be dealt with in the abstract operator algebra without the need for an
Anj123
In the momentum representation, the position operator acts on the wavefunction as

1) ##X_i = i\frac{\partial}{\partial p_i}##

Now we want under rotations $U(R)$ the position operator to transform as

##U(R)^{-1}\mathbf{X}U(R) = R\mathbf{X}##

How does one show that the position operator as represented in 1) indeed transforms like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
In non-relativistic QT you can separate the angular-momentum operator into orbital and spin angular momentum. The spin part commutes. So you are left with the orbital part. Then from the Heisenberg commutator relations you get
$$[x_k,L_l]=[x_k,\epsilon_{lab} x_a p_b]=x_a \epsilon_{lab} [x_k,p_b]=x_a \epsilon_{lab} \mathrm{i} \delta_{kb}=\mathrm{i} \epsilon_{lak} x_a=-\mathrm{i} \epsilon_{lka} x_a,$$
i.e., the infinitesimal rotation is correctly represented on the position operators. Exponentiation yields that indeed ##\vec{x}## are vector operators under rotation.

As you see you don't need a cumbersome explicit representation but you can deal with the abstract operator algebra only!

1. What is the position operator?

The position operator is a mathematical representation of the position of a particle in a given coordinate system. It is typically denoted by x and is an operator in quantum mechanics used to describe the position of a particle in space.

2. What is a rotation in physics?

A rotation in physics refers to the physical movement of an object around an axis, causing the object to turn or spin. In terms of quantum mechanics, rotations are important for understanding the behavior and properties of particles in different orientations.

3. How does the position operator transform under rotations?

The position operator transforms under rotations according to the rotation operator, which is a unitary operator that describes the change in position of a particle as it rotates. This transformation is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles in different orientations and coordinate systems.

4. What is the significance of the transformation of the position operator under rotations?

The transformation of the position operator under rotations is significant because it allows us to understand how the position of a particle changes when the coordinate system is rotated. This is important for studying the behavior of particles in different orientations and for making calculations in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any other operators that transform under rotations?

Yes, there are other operators that transform under rotations, such as the momentum operator and the angular momentum operator. These operators are also important for understanding the behavior and properties of particles in different orientations, and they all follow similar transformation rules under rotations.