Transformer Coupled Class A amplifier Single supply

In summary: However, at higher frequencies, the transformer allows the AC signal to bypass the inductance and continue traveling through the transformer windings.So in summary, when an AC signal is superimposed on a DC bias, the positive voltage fluctuation (Vcc) will be the same as the negative voltage fluctuation (Vcc). This phenomenon is known as Lenz's Law.
paulmdrdo
TL;DR Summary
How can Vce vary from 0 to 2Vcc? In class, I learned that it was due to Lenz Law working in the transformer and a voltage of Vcc being induced to reverse the change in Ic. However, I cannot picture this. Can someone please explain with a diagram of how this comes about in the transformer windings.
1590478900017.png

1590478757072.png

How can Vce vary from 0 to 2Vcc? In class, I learned that it was due to Lenz Law working in the transformer and a voltage of Vcc being induced to reverse the change in Ic. However, I cannot picture this. Can someone please explain with a diagram of how this comes about in the transformer windings.

Engineering news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
How can Vce vary from 0 to 2Vcc? In class, I learned that it was due to Lenz Law working in the transformer and a voltage of Vcc being induced to reverse the change in Ic

No need to think about Lenz's law, only need to consider the superposition of DC bias point and AC signal fluctuations.

paulmdrdo said:
However, I cannot picture this. Can someone please explain with a diagram of how this comes about in the transformer windings

I think the diagram you posted is enough to describe the situation.

For the AC signal circuit, the effective load resistance of V1 is equal to (N1/N2)2RL=Re

In AC circuits, due to the constant effective load resistance Re, also the symmetry of positive and negative current fluctuations, the amplitude of positive voltage fluctuation will be same as the amplitude of negative voltage fluctuation.

Since negative Voltage fluctuation is Vcc, the positive Voltage fluctuation will be also Vcc

Therefore, the positive peak voltage on the collector of the transistor is equal to the sum of DC bias and positive voltage fluctuation, namely Vcc + Vcc = 2Vcc

Likes ywfw30 and Paul Colby
For an ideal transformer (which doesn't exist, of course), you will only get Vcc as your intuition suggests. Then the circuit is equivalent to a simple load resistor in place of the transformer (Re as described above).

In the real world, the transformer primary will also have some inductance. This can generate an induced voltage to "try" and maintain current flow through the primary when the transistor turns off. In the extreme case, you could replace the transformer with an inductor. In fact it is easy to generate much more than 2Vcc this way. For example this is how many cars make the HV pulse for their spark plugs. To learn more about this effect you could search for "Flyback Power Supply" or "Boost Converter". However, these circuits aren't operated in the linear region like a Class A Amp, in those examples the transistor is switched on/off quickly.

In practice, if I saw this schematic, my response would be "tell me more about the transformer" and maybe "what is this circuit supposed to do?"

Actually modeling a real transformer is a bit complicated, ask if you want more info.

Likes alan123hk
In order to better explain the working principle of the circuit, I agree that the magnetizing inductance of the transformer must be retained in the circuit diagram. In addition, the value of the magnetizing inductance cannot be infinite, and actually must be appropriately selected as a certain value.

If we do not include the magnetizing inductance, or assume that the magnetizing inductance is infinitive large, then the "ideally transformed" load would be only a pure resistance Re. We would mistakenly conclude that the quiescent collector voltage must be ## ~\frac {Vcc} 2 ~## rather than ## ~Vcc ~##.

123.jpg

After adding the magnetizing inductance, we can also notice that the frequency response does not extend all the way down to DC, because at low frequencies, it will be shorted out by the magnetizing inductance.

Last edited:

1. What is a transformer coupled Class A amplifier single supply?

A transformer coupled Class A amplifier single supply is an electronic circuit that uses a transformer to couple the input signal to the output stage of the amplifier. This type of amplifier operates in Class A mode, meaning that the output transistors are always conducting, resulting in a high-quality and linear amplification of the input signal. It is powered by a single power supply instead of the traditional dual power supply.

2. What are the advantages of using a transformer coupled Class A amplifier single supply?

One of the main advantages of this type of amplifier is its simplicity and cost-effectiveness. It also offers a high-quality and linear amplification of the input signal, resulting in low distortion and high fidelity. The use of a single power supply simplifies the circuit design and reduces the number of components needed. It also offers a wider frequency response and better stability compared to other types of amplifiers.

3. What are the limitations of a transformer coupled Class A amplifier single supply?

One of the main limitations of this type of amplifier is its low efficiency. Since the output transistors are always conducting, a significant amount of power is wasted as heat. This results in a larger power supply and heat dissipation requirements. Additionally, the output power is limited due to the use of a single power supply. It also requires careful design and selection of components to ensure proper operation.

4. How does a transformer coupled Class A amplifier single supply work?

The input signal is first coupled to the primary winding of the transformer, which isolates the input from the output stage. The transformer also serves as a step-up or step-down device, depending on the impedance matching requirements. The output stage, consisting of transistors, amplifies the signal and delivers it to the load. The single power supply provides the necessary voltage and current for the amplifier to operate.

5. Where are transformer coupled Class A amplifier single supplies commonly used?

These types of amplifiers are commonly used in audio applications, such as in audio amplifiers, preamplifiers, and headphone amplifiers. They are also used in instrumentation and measurement equipment, as well as in communication systems. Their simplicity and high-quality amplification make them suitable for a wide range of applications.