Transient FEM Simulation of a Solenoid Actuator with MAXWELL

In summary, a mechanical engineer is seeking help with a 3D transient electromagnetic simulation of a solenoid actuator. They imported the geometry from CAD-files and added a vacuum Band around the plunger. They then set up the motion and added meshing options, a winding, and a coilterminal with an external circuit. After solving the simulation, they noticed that the mesh was not very refined and the speed and position of the plunger did not change. There also seems to be a problem with the movement, as the moving vector needs to be positive. They will provide updates on the situation.
renohr
Hey Guys!

Hi Guys!

Well I am new here and I have to confess that I somehow got stuck in a 3D transient electromagnetic simulation of a solenoid actuator and… I’m a mechanical engineer^^ So I would appreciate some help of you guys!

1. I imported the geometry from CAD-files. But I remodeled the coil and the plunger with a sweep of the section around the z-axies.

model.jpg

2. I added a vacuum Band around the plunger

3. I setup the motion with:

motion1.jpg
motion2.jpg
motion3.jpg
4. I added some meshing options

5. I added a winding and a coilterminal with an external circuit

circuit.jpg

6. I setup the Solution:

solution.jpg

7. I solved itSo the solving went smooth but the mesh is not very refined jet. I get a Force acting on the plunger but the speed and the position of the plunger they don’t change...

Engineering news on Phys.org
And here are the xy plots:
Force.JPG
Speed.JPG
Voltage.JPG
BField.JPG

It somehow seems to be a problem with the movement. The moving vector has to be positive apparently. I will keep you posted

1. What is a solenoid actuator?

A solenoid actuator is an electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into linear motion. It consists of a coil of wire (solenoid) and a movable plunger or armature. When an electrical current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that pulls or pushes the plunger, resulting in linear motion.

2. What is MAXWELL?

MAXWELL is a software program used for transient finite element method (FEM) simulations. It is specifically designed for electromagnetic and electromechanical analysis, making it a useful tool for studying solenoid actuators.

3. What is the purpose of a transient FEM simulation for a solenoid actuator?

A transient FEM simulation allows for the analysis of the dynamic behavior of a solenoid actuator. It can provide information on important parameters such as force, speed, and energy consumption, which are essential for optimizing the design and performance of the actuator.

4. What are some potential applications of a solenoid actuator?

Solenoid actuators have a wide range of applications, including in automotive systems (such as fuel injectors and automatic door locks), industrial equipment (such as valves and robotic arms), and consumer electronics (such as printers and speakers).

5. What are some limitations of using transient FEM simulation for solenoid actuators?

Some limitations of using transient FEM simulation for solenoid actuators include the complexity of the simulation process, the need for accurate input parameters and boundary conditions, and the potential for errors or inaccuracies in the simulation results. It is important to validate the simulation results with experimental data to ensure accuracy.