Ansoft Maxwell - Transient solver

In summary, the speaker is experiencing issues with their transient simulation of a high air gap transformer. They suspect that Maxwell may not work well at high frequencies, but there could also be errors in their setup or issues with material properties or convergence. They suggest troubleshooting these factors and seeking help from technical support if needed.
JohnEx
Hello everybody i am trying to simulate some high air gap transformer. While Magnetostatic solution works fine , transient seems not to.

Actually i connect the first winding to a 90KHz voltage source and then in series with a capacitor.

The second winding in series with a Capacitor and a Resistance.

So while i expect currents around 25 A i get only 2.5 ... maybe maxwell doesn't work in high frequencies ? or could be something else wrong ? Anyone ? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing up this issue. There could be a few reasons why your transient simulation is not working as expected. First, it is possible that Maxwell does not work well with high frequencies. This could be due to the finite element method used in the simulation, which may not be accurate at high frequencies.

Another possibility is that there could be errors in your setup. For example, are you using the correct units for your voltage source and capacitors? Are the resistances and inductances of your windings accurately defined? These small errors can greatly affect the results of your simulation.

Another factor to consider is the material properties of your transformer. Are you using the correct properties for the core and windings? Different materials have different responses to high frequencies, so it is important to use the correct properties for accurate results.

Lastly, it could be an issue with convergence. Transient simulations can be more sensitive to convergence than static simulations. Make sure that your mesh is fine enough and that your simulation settings are appropriate for your model.

I hope these suggestions help you troubleshoot your simulation. If you continue to have issues, I suggest reaching out to the technical support team for further assistance. Good luck with your simulation!

1. What is the Ansoft Maxwell transient solver?

The Ansoft Maxwell transient solver is a software tool used for simulating and analyzing electromagnetic fields and devices. It is part of the Ansys suite of simulation software and is commonly used in the design of electric motors, transformers, and other electromagnetic devices.

2. How does the Ansoft Maxwell transient solver work?

The Ansoft Maxwell transient solver uses finite element analysis (FEA) to numerically solve Maxwell's equations. It discretizes the geometry into small elements and calculates the electric and magnetic fields at each point in time. It also takes into account material properties and boundary conditions to accurately simulate real-world electromagnetic behavior.

3. What are the advantages of using the Ansoft Maxwell transient solver?

One of the main advantages of using the Ansoft Maxwell transient solver is its ability to accurately simulate time-varying electromagnetic fields. It also has a user-friendly interface and powerful post-processing tools for visualizing and analyzing simulation results.

4. What types of problems can be solved with the Ansoft Maxwell transient solver?

The Ansoft Maxwell transient solver can be used to solve a wide range of electromagnetic problems, including high-frequency electromagnetic effects, power electronics, and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) analysis. It is also commonly used in the design of electronic components and systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Ansoft Maxwell transient solver?

While the Ansoft Maxwell transient solver is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is primarily designed for time-domain analysis and may not be suitable for certain types of frequency-domain problems. It also requires a significant amount of computational resources and may take longer to solve complex problems.