Transitions using Fluorescence Spectroscopy

In summary, Jenna is doing undergraduate research work on fluorescence spectroscopy using crystals. She is exploring the use of Extended Huckel calculations to determine energy gaps, and she is hoping to find someone with more experience in the field to help her out.
pfollansbee
Hi all!

I'm doing undergrad research work using fluorescence spectroscopy on crystals. My adviser believes that we should be able to find new transitions via this method, but I'm rather unsure about how steady mental ground my adviser is sitting on, as he is very old.

Right now I am thinking that I might be able to use DFT to find the electronic energy gaps and match them with my emission peaks, but doing this on a crystal will require a lot of training I don't have and a lot of time to set up and run the calculations.

Additionally, a previous doctoral candidate used the Extended Huckel method to identify energy gaps. I don't know much about this method, but I am in the process of looking for some literature on it.

I am hoping that I might be able to find someone out there with more experience than myself with solid state fluorescence. Any books and journal articles that might be helpful would be great as well.

I have already done a thorough reading of "Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy" by Lakowicz and "Excited State Lifetime Measurements" by Demas. Both have been very helpful with the individual instruments, but forming them together into something coherent has been a challenge.

I have a PTI spectrofluorometer and a homemade instrument for measuring lifetimes at my disposal. Both can be cooled to liquid nitrogen temps and held anywhere between. I also have a node on the supercomputer on my campus.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
JennaHi Jenna, It sounds like you have a great setup for exploring fluorescence spectroscopy on crystals. The Extended Huckel method can be a very useful tool for determining energy gaps, as it is based on a semi-empirical approach to quantum chemistry and can provide accurate predictions of molecular energies. I would recommend doing some research into the various methods of Extended Huckel calculations and how they can be applied to your specific case. In addition to the books you have already read, two other good sources of information on fluorescence spectroscopy are "Fluorescence Spectroscopy: Principles and Applications" by John R. Lakowicz and "Fluorescence Spectroscopy: Theory and Applications" by Stephen M. Thomas. Both of these books provide an excellent overview of the principles and applications of fluorescence spectroscopy. Finally, if you are looking for more detailed information on the Extended Huckel method and its application to fluorescence spectroscopy, I would recommend checking out the papers published by John R. Sabin in the Journal of Chemical Physics and the Journal of Physical Chemistry. Good luck with your research!

1. What is fluorescence spectroscopy?

Fluorescence spectroscopy is a scientific technique used to study the emission of light from a substance after it has been excited by a specific wavelength of light. It is commonly used to analyze the structure and properties of molecules and can provide valuable information about the electronic and structural changes of a substance.

2. How is fluorescence spectroscopy used to study transitions?

Fluorescence spectroscopy can be used to study transitions by measuring the changes in fluorescence intensity, wavelength, and lifetime of a substance as it undergoes a transition. These changes can provide valuable insights into the energy levels and structural changes that occur during a transition.

3. What is the advantage of using fluorescence spectroscopy for studying transitions?

The advantage of using fluorescence spectroscopy for studying transitions is its high sensitivity and selectivity. It can detect very small changes in the fluorescence properties of a substance, making it a powerful tool for studying subtle transitions. Additionally, it is a non-invasive technique, meaning that it does not alter or damage the substance being studied.

4. What types of transitions can be studied using fluorescence spectroscopy?

Fluorescence spectroscopy can be used to study a wide range of transitions, including electronic, vibrational, and rotational transitions. It can also be used to study chemical reactions, protein folding, and DNA interactions.

5. How is fluorescence spectroscopy different from other spectroscopic techniques?

Fluorescence spectroscopy is different from other spectroscopic techniques in that it measures the emission of light from a substance, rather than its absorption. This allows for the detection of very small changes and provides a more sensitive and specific analysis. It also has the advantage of being a non-destructive technique, making it suitable for studying delicate or sensitive substances.