Transmission and Reflection Amplitude for Delta Potential SE

In summary, the conversation discusses a computation question from some notes about the Schrodinger equation. The goal is to calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients, but there is a discrepancy between the answers given in the book and the ones calculated by the person. They provide their calculations and ask for clarification on which is correct. The summary concludes by stating that the person's result for A, B, and C matches, but their results for R and T are different from the ones provided in the notes. They seek assistance in understanding the discrepancy.
mjordan2nd
This is not a homework question per se, but it's a simple enough computation question from some notes I'm reading that I think it belongs in this section. I will do my best to keep to you guys' formatThis is not a homework question per se, but it's a simple enough computation question from some notes I'm reading that I think it belongs in this section. I will do my best to keep to you guys' format.

1. Homework Statement

We are given the following Schrodinger equation

[tex] -\frac{1}{2} \psi "(x) + c_0 \delta(x) \psi(x) = E \psi(x) [/tex]

and we want to calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients. The answers are given in the book, but based on my calculations the answers should be different. So I'm either misunderstanding how to do the calculation or the book is wrong, and I would appreciate if you guys could help me understand which.

Homework Equations

The solution to the equation is (if x<0)

[tex] \psi(x) = Ae^{ipx} + Be^{-ipx} [/tex]
[tex] \psi'(x) = ip \left( Ae^{ipx} - Be^{-ipx} \right) [/tex]

and if x>0

[tex] \psi(x) = Ce^{ipx}.[/tex]
[tex] \psi'(x) = ipCe^{ipx} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Integrating the Schrodinger equation over a small interval [itex] (-\epsilon, \epsilon)[/itex] gives us

[tex]-\frac{1}{2} \left[ \psi'(\epsilon) - \psi'(-\epsilon) \right] + c_0 \psi(0) = E \int_{-\epsilon}^\epsilon \psi(x) dx.[/tex]

Letting [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0[/itex] gives us the following condition according to my calculation:

[tex]\frac{ip}{2} \left[-C+A-B \right] +c_0 C = 0.[/tex]

However, the notes say that this condition should be

[tex]\frac{ip}{2} \left[C-A+B \right] c_0 C = 0. [/tex]

Who is right? This leads to different transmission and reflection amplitudes. According to the notes they are

[tex]T=\frac{C}{A} = \frac{p}{p+ic_0} [/tex]
[tex]R = =\frac{B}{A} = -\frac{ic_0}{p+ic_0}[/tex]

whereas according to my calculations they are

[tex] T=\frac{2c_0-ip}{c_0-ip}[/tex]

and I didn't really calculate R because it didn't seem worth it until I knew whether or not I was correct or not. Anyway, your assistance would be appreciated in clarifying this matter. Thanks you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get your result for the equation relating A, B, and C. But then I get their results for R and T.

Related to Transmission and Reflection Amplitude for Delta Potential SE

1. What is a delta potential in quantum mechanics?

A delta potential, also known as a Dirac delta function potential, is a mathematical model used in quantum mechanics to describe a potential energy barrier that is infinitely tall and infinitely narrow. It is often used to study the behavior of particles in one-dimensional systems.

2. What is the significance of the transmission and reflection amplitudes for a delta potential?

The transmission and reflection amplitudes for a delta potential represent the probability of a particle passing through or being reflected by the potential barrier, respectively. These amplitudes are important in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems, particularly in the study of scattering processes.

3. How do the transmission and reflection amplitudes vary with energy for a delta potential?

The transmission and reflection amplitudes for a delta potential depend on the energy of the particle. At low energies, the transmission amplitude is close to 1, indicating a high probability of the particle passing through the potential barrier. As the energy increases, the transmission amplitude decreases and the reflection amplitude increases, indicating a higher probability of the particle being reflected by the potential barrier.

4. Can the transmission and reflection amplitudes be calculated analytically for a delta potential?

Yes, the transmission and reflection amplitudes for a delta potential can be calculated analytically using the Schrödinger equation and appropriate boundary conditions. The resulting expressions involve the wave number and the strength of the potential barrier.

5. What is the relationship between the transmission and reflection amplitudes for a delta potential?

The transmission and reflection amplitudes for a delta potential are related by the conservation of probability. This means that the sum of the squares of the two amplitudes is equal to 1, representing the total probability of the particle either passing through or being reflected by the potential barrier.