Transmission Coefficient through a delta potential

In summary, the problem involves a uni-dimensional scattering by a delta function potential at the origin, with a green function ##G(x) = \frac{1}{2ik}e^{ikx}##. The goal is to find the transmission coefficient through the potential using the equations ##T=\frac{J_t}{J_i}## and ##J=\frac{\hbar}{2mi}(\Psi^\star\frac{d\Psi}{dx} - \Psi \frac{d\Psi^\star}{dx})##, where ##i## denotes the incident wave and ##t## denotes the transmitted wave. The physical situation is that an incident wave is coming from the left (##x<0##) and gets
Kidiz

Homework Statement

Consider an uni-dimensional scattering by a delta function at the origin, given by the potential ##V(x) = g \delta(x)##, with ##g>0##.

Using the following result, with ##G(x)## being the green function:

$$\Psi (x) = e^{ikx} + g \dfrac{2m}{\hbar}\dfrac{G(x)}{1-2mgG(0)/\hbar^2} = e^{ikx} + g \dfrac{2m}{\hbar 2ik}\dfrac{e^{ikx}}{1-2mgG(0)/\hbar^2}$$

Find the transmission coefficient through the potential.

Homework Equations

$$T = \dfrac{J_t}{J_i}$$

$$J=\dfrac{\hbar}{2mi}(\Psi^\star\dfrac{d\Psi}{dx} - \Psi \dfrac{d \Psi ^\star}{dx})$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know I am supposed to use the equations I wrote above, but I don't know what I should consider as the ##\Psi_i## and ##\Psi_t##. Any help in that regard?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The i means incident, and the t means transmitted, right? What's the physical situation in this problem? The incident wave is coming toward the potential from one side, and the transmitted wave is the part that gets through. Which side is the the incident wave coming from?

vela said:
The i means incident, and the t means transmitted, right? What's the physical situation in this problem? The incident wave is coming toward the potential from one side, and the transmitted wave is the part that gets through. Which side is the the incident wave coming from?

I forgot to mention that ##G(x) = \dfrac{1}{2ik}e^{ikx}##

You're correct, ##i## means incident and ##t## means transmitted. I don't know how to answer your other queries though. I do not know what's the physical situation in this problem, but I suppose you're right in saying that a wave is coming from one side and gets transmitted and reflected. Again, there's no info about the physical situation, but I'm going to say that the wave comes from the left (##x<0##) and gets transmitted (##x>0##).

1. What is a delta potential?

A delta potential is a type of potential barrier that is infinitely high and infinitely narrow. It is often used in physics to model various scenarios, such as a point particle interacting with a potential barrier.

2. How does the transmission coefficient through a delta potential differ from other potential barriers?

The transmission coefficient through a delta potential is unique in that it is always equal to 1, meaning that there is a 100% chance that a particle will pass through the potential barrier.

3. What factors affect the transmission coefficient through a delta potential?

The only factor that affects the transmission coefficient through a delta potential is the energy of the particle. Higher energy particles are more likely to pass through the potential barrier.

4. Can the transmission coefficient through a delta potential be greater than 1?

No, the transmission coefficient through a delta potential cannot be greater than 1. This is because a value of 1 already represents a 100% chance of transmission.

5. How is the transmission coefficient through a delta potential calculated?

The transmission coefficient through a delta potential can be calculated using the equation T=1/(1+(V/E)), where T is the transmission coefficient, V is the height of the potential barrier, and E is the energy of the particle.