Transverse Oscillations with 3 beads

In summary, In this approximation the equation takes the form: x''+n^2Ax=0 and determine the constant coefficient n and the numerical matrix A.
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

Consider a light elastic string of unstretched length 4a0, stretched horizontally between two fixed points distance 4a apart (a>a0). There are particles of mass m attached so as to divide the string into four equal sections. We enumerate the segments from left to right, i=1 through 4. The tension Ti is proportional to its extension (a-a0), with the elastic constant being c>0.
Suppose that the particles can only move in a perpendicular direction.
Write down the equations of motion for the vertical displacements xi under the assumption that the displacements are small. Keep only linear terms in xi/a. Show that in this approximation the equation takes the form: x''+n^2Ax=0 and determine the constant coefficient n and the numerical matrix A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I' d like to know if we can assume that the tensions are equal since the displacements are small.
If so, for each mass with amplitude xi, I can set up the equation of motion.

mx1''=-T*x1/a+T*(x2-x1)/a
mx2''=-T(x2-x1)/a+T(x3-x2)/a
mx3''=-T(x3-x2)/a-T*x3/a

Rearranging the equation and setting n^2=T/ma:
x1''+2n^2x1-n^2x2=0
x2''-n^2+2n^2x2-n^2x3=0
x3''-n^2x2+2n^2x3=0

which is in the form we wanted. Factoring out the n^2, we can easily find the matrix A.
In class, our professor told our class that tension T is approximately -k(xi-xi-1) by taylor expanding and that li=√[(xi-xi-1)+a^2] (l is the hypotenuse of the triangle created by the oscillation). Why are these equations relevant to the question?

The next question asks us to diagonalise A and find the general solution for x(t) but I do not want to proceed unless if I am sure that my work so far is correct.

Any comment will be appreciated!

EDIT: It seems like I get the same solution when we find Ti where Ti=xi-xi-1-(a-a0), which leads to the equation of motion mx1''=T1-T2, mx2''=T2-T3, and mx3''=T3-T4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the masses are displaced, the string becomes longer than ## 4a ##. The new length is ## l_1 + l_2 + l_3 + l_4 ##. But you can write this new length in terms of displacements divided by ## a ## and Taylor expand. Keeping the terms linear in these ratios gives the approximate expression for the new length.

Likes spacetimedude
spacetimedude said:

Homework Statement

Consider a light elastic string of unstretched length 4a0, stretched horizontally between two fixed points distance 4a apart (a>a0). There are particles of mass m attached so as to divide the string into four equal sections. We enumerate the segments from left to right, i=1 through 4. The tension Ti is proportional to its extension (a-a0), with the elastic constant being c>0.
Suppose that the particles can only move in a perpendicular direction.
Write down the equations of motion for the vertical displacements xi under the assumption that the displacements are small. Keep only linear terms in xi/a. Show that in this approximation the equation takes the form: x''+n^2Ax=0 and determine the constant coefficient n and the numerical matrix A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I' d like to know if we can assume that the tensions are equal since the displacements are small.
If so, for each mass with amplitude xi, I can set up the equation of motion.

mx1''=-T*x1/a+T*(x2-x1)/a
mx2''=-T(x2-x1)/a+T(x3-x2)/a
mx3''=-T(x3-x2)/a-T*x3/a

Rearranging the equation and setting n^2=T/ma:
x1''+2n^2x1-n^2x2=0
x2''-n^2+2n^2x2-n^2x3=0
x3''-n^2x2+2n^2x3=0

which is in the form we wanted. Factoring out the n^2, we can easily find the matrix A.
In class, our professor told our class that tension T is approximately -k(xi-xi-1) by taylor expanding and that li=√[(xi-xi-1)+a^2] (l is the hypotenuse of the triangle created by the oscillation). Why are these equations relevant to the question?
In my judgement, you set the problem up correctly by recognizing that the directions of the tensions changed but, to a good approximation, not their magnitudes. I think your professor wanted you to recognize that there was a geometric approximation involved in doing what you did when you essentially replaced the sine of an angle with the tangent of the angle (for a small angle).

Chet

Likes spacetimedude
I agree - I just wanted to make sure the OP realized that the Taylor expanded length reduces to ## 4a ## again.

Likes spacetimedude

1. What are transverse oscillations with 3 beads?

Transverse oscillations with 3 beads refer to a phenomenon in physics where three beads are placed on a string or wire and are allowed to oscillate perpendicular to the direction of the string or wire.

2. How do transverse oscillations with 3 beads occur?

Transverse oscillations with 3 beads occur when a disturbance is applied to the beads, causing them to move perpendicular to the string or wire. This creates a wave-like motion as the beads move up and down.

3. What factors affect the transverse oscillations with 3 beads?

The factors that affect transverse oscillations with 3 beads include the mass of the beads, the tension in the string or wire, and the amplitude and frequency of the disturbance applied to the beads.

4. What is the significance of studying transverse oscillations with 3 beads?

Studying transverse oscillations with 3 beads allows us to better understand wave motion and the principles of energy transfer. It also has practical applications in fields such as acoustics, mechanics, and engineering.

5. Can transverse oscillations with 3 beads occur in other mediums besides strings or wires?

Yes, transverse oscillations with 3 beads can occur in other mediums such as water, where the beads would be floating on the surface and the disturbance would create ripples in the water. It can also occur in gases, with the beads suspended in the air and the disturbance causing them to move in a wave-like motion.