Transverse Wave: Time difference between two points

In summary, the conversation discusses a transverse wave propagated through a wire and its oscillation function. The goal is to find the time difference between the first two arrivals of the point at x=0, which oscillates between +A/-A, at the height y=0.175m. The solution involves using both v=λ*f and v=Δx/Δt formulas and plugging in different values for k. The smallest two positive values from the union of the two sets of solutions will give the desired result.
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

A transverse wave that is propagated through a wire, is described through this function: y(x,t) = 0.350sin(1.25x + 99.6t) SI

Consider the point of the wire that is found at x= 0:

a) What's the time difference between the two first arrivals of x = 0 at the height y = 0.175m?
b) How much distance does the wave cover during that time?

Homework Equations

v = λ*f
v = Δx/Δt
sinx = sinφ => x = 2kπ + φ OR Χ = 2kπ + π - φ

The Attempt at a Solution

a) First up, the oscillation function for x = 0 is: y(0,t) = 0.350sin(99.6t)

For y = 0.175m => ... 0,5 = sin(π/6) = sin(99,6t) => 99.6t = 2kπ + π/6 OR 99.6t = 2kπ + 5π/6

And here's I find the problem. I don't remember how to solve these (it's been a while), so while I know that I should put k = 0, get a result, then k = 1, get a result, and then find the difference between the two, I don't know which formula to pick.

For example, for k = 0 we have: t = 5,25 * 10-3s from the first, and t = 0,026s from the second.
Likewise, for k = 1 we have: t = 0.068s & t = 0.089s

The book's answer is t = 21 ms, which I get if I find the difference between the first set (0,026 - 0,00525 gives 0,7 ms), or the difference between the second set (0.089 - 0.068 gives us a perfect 0,021). Problem is, I don't know why. I don't remember the theory behind this is what I'm saying. Why can't I find the difference between the results of just one formula, one for k = 0, and the other for k = 1, eg 0,068 - 0,00525.

b) That's an easy one. v = λ*f <=>... <=> v = 79.68 m/s | v = ΔX/ΔT <=> ... <=> Δx = 1.68m

Any help is appreciated!

PS: I then tried something different, and while I didn't get proper results, I'd like to know why it's wrong. Say, from putting x = 0 & y = 0.175 into the main function, if solved through arcsin, I can get t ~ 0,0052. So, considering that x goes from Position of Balance, to = +A, then to PoB, then to -A, then back to PoB and so on and so forth, couldn't I find the "wanted time" by this logic:

Δt = (T/4 - t) + T/4 + T/4 + T/4 + t

Obviously it's wrong, but I want to know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Darthkostis said:
I know that I should put k = 0, get a result, then k = 1, get a result, and then find the difference between the two, I don't know which formula to pick.
It is not a matter of picking one formula or the other. Both give instants at which y has the desired value. You want the smallest two positive values of t which satisfy either.

Likes Delta2
Darthkostis said:
of x = 0 at the height y =
I assume you meant at x=0 of the height y=...

haruspex said:
I assume you meant at x=0 of the height y=...

Yeah, the "particle"/point that is found at x = 0 goes "up and down"/oscillates between +A/-A, and I need to find the time difference between the first time it arrives at y = 0.175 m and the second time it arrives there.

haruspex said:
It is not a matter of picking one formula or the other. Both give instants at which y has the desired value. You want the smallest two positive values of t which satisfy either.

Ah, so I have to take a constant, k in this instance, and pluck it in BOTH formulas? So, essentially, I need to use both formulas for just one k? How does that work though? Shouldn't I get the same result if I picked just one formula, and then just plucked in two different values for k (0 & 1)? What's the theory/backstory behind it?

Darthkostis said:
Yeah, the "particle"/point that is found at x = 0 goes "up and down"/oscillates between +A/-A, and I need to find the time difference between the first time it arrives at y = 0.175 m and the second time it arrives there.
Ah, so I have to take a constant, k in this instance, and pluck it in BOTH formulas? So, essentially, I need to use both formulas for just one k? How does that work though? Shouldn't I get the same result if I picked just one formula, and then just plucked in two different values for k (0 & 1)? What's the theory/backstory behind it?
The set of times at which y(0,t) will have the desired value is the union of the two sets of solutions you found. You want the smallest two positive values from that union. It could be the smallest two from set, the smallest two from the other set, or the smallest one from each.

haruspex said:
The set of times at which y(0,t) will have the desired value is the union of the two sets of solutions you found. You want the smallest two positive values from that union. It could be the smallest two from set, the smallest two from the other set, or the smallest one from each.

Oh alright. So it's not something "set", I'm just looking for the smallest ones.

Thanks!

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave that moves perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. This means that the particles of the medium through which the wave is traveling move up and down or side to side, rather than back and forth in the same direction as the wave.

2. How is the time difference between two points on a transverse wave calculated?

The time difference between two points on a transverse wave can be calculated by dividing the distance between the two points by the speed of the wave. This will give you the time it takes for the wave to travel from one point to the other.

3. What factors can affect the time difference between two points on a transverse wave?

The time difference between two points on a transverse wave can be affected by the distance between the points, the speed of the wave, and any obstacles or disruptions in the medium through which the wave is traveling. Additionally, the type of medium and the properties of the wave itself can also impact the time difference.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and time difference on a transverse wave?

The wavelength of a transverse wave is directly related to the time difference between two points on the wave. This means that as the wavelength increases, the time difference between two points on the wave will also increase. Similarly, if the wavelength decreases, the time difference between two points on the wave will decrease.

5. How does the frequency of a transverse wave affect the time difference between two points?

The frequency of a transverse wave is inversely related to the time difference between two points. This means that as the frequency increases, the time difference between two points on the wave will decrease. Conversely, if the frequency decreases, the time difference between two points on the wave will increase.