Triangle calculation for the resultant velocity

In summary, the conversation is about resolving forces in 2 dimensions and finding the combined velocity using the horizontal and vertical numbers. The equation used is the Pythagorean theorem and the angle off of horizontal is calculated using atan2. The person in the conversation is seeking help with a specific calculation.
DeanH87
Homework Statement
Hi, Can someone help with the below calculation. Sample attached
Relevant Equations
See Below
1591845692283.png
Top example- How do I get to 31.7 m/s from 30.8 and 7.7? This is way over my head and need help. Thanks in advance
Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##31.748 = \sqrt { 30.8^2 + 7.7^2 }##
It is the length of the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the horizontal and vertical numbers.
And the 14 deg is the angle off of horizontal that those two velocities make for the combined velocity.
## 14.03 = (180/\pi) * atan2(7.7, 30.8) ##

Last edited:
Great! Thanks

Likes berkeman
DeanH87 said:
Homework Statement:: Hi, Can someone help with the below calculation. Sample attached
Relevant Equations:: See Below

View attachment 264461Top example- How do I get to 31.7 m/s from 30.8 and 7.7? This is way over my head and need help. Thanks in advance
Dean
What do you know about resolving forces in 2 dimensions?

1. What is the formula for calculating the resultant velocity in a triangle?

The formula for calculating the resultant velocity in a triangle is v = √(u2 + w2 - 2uwcosθ), where v is the resultant velocity, u and w are the initial velocities, and θ is the angle between the two initial velocities.

2. How do I find the angle between two initial velocities in a triangle?

To find the angle between two initial velocities in a triangle, you can use the inverse cosine function: θ = cos-1((u2 + w2 - v2)/2uw). Alternatively, you can use the sine or tangent functions, depending on the given information.

3. Can the resultant velocity in a triangle be greater than the sum of the initial velocities?

Yes, the resultant velocity in a triangle can be greater than the sum of the initial velocities. This occurs when the angle between the initial velocities is acute, meaning less than 90 degrees. In this case, the resultant velocity will be larger than the sum of the initial velocities.

4. What happens if the angle between the initial velocities is 180 degrees?

If the angle between the initial velocities is 180 degrees, then the resultant velocity will be equal to the difference between the two initial velocities. This is because the cosine of 180 degrees is -1, making the formula for resultant velocity v = √(u2 + w2 + 2uw).

5. How can I use triangle calculation for resultant velocity in real-life situations?

Triangle calculation for resultant velocity can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the speed and direction of a boat in a river with a current, determining the velocity of a projectile launched at an angle, or finding the velocity of a car moving on a curved road. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects.