Triangle Math Help: Calculate Angles & Lengths with 46 & 35 Measurements

• Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary: The description should be accompanied by a picture.In summary, the conversation discusses a triangle with a baseline of 46 and a line from the center of the baseline to the opposite corner that is 35. The poster is asking for help in calculating all angles of the triangle, but there is confusion over the exact shape and measurements of the triangle. The moderator requests a clear description and a picture for better understanding.
LightningInAJar
I couldn't find a triangle calculator that input triangle height. Just angles and outer length.

I have a triangle with 46 at one length and a line from center of length going to opposite corner that is 35. How can I calculate all angles from that? Sorry. I dumb.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
LightningInAJar said:
I couldn't find a triangle calculator that input triangle height. Just angles and outer length.

I have a triangle with 46 at one length and a line from center of length going to opposite corner that is 35. How can I calculate all angles from that? Sorry. I dumb.
So you have a baseline, a height, and two equal angles since the height is at the center of the baseline. This gives you two identical right triangles. The sum of all angles in a triangle equals 180°, and for right triangles, we have Pythagoras: ##h^2+(b/2)^2=c^2## where ##h## is the height and ##b## the baseline.
[Moderator's note: moved from a technical forum.]

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Is 35 the right-angle height or is it going to the opposite corner on a slope?

Likes Lnewqban and Delta2
35 was the distance line from the 46 line to opposite side.

LightningInAJar said:
So post #2 contains all you need to know. You have to show us some effort from your side.

LightningInAJar said:
That doesn't exactly answer my question. We must be very precise in this. If the 46-line is flat on the ground, is the 35 the height of the vertex opposite to the 46-line? Or is it a tilted distance from the center of the 46-line to the opposite vertex? You might want to show a drawing of the situation.

Likes Lnewqban and hmmm27
Maybe '35' is the angle of the opposite corner ?

Likes LightningInAJar
LightningInAJar,
DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE? WILL YOU DESCRIBE YOUR TRIANGLE PRECISELY?

Likes FactChecker and Delta2
LightningInAJar said:

symbolipoint said:
DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE? WILL YOU DESCRIBE YOUR TRIANGLE PRECISELY?
We're 8 posts into this thread because of the poor description, and we still don't know what the triangle looks like. A picture with the sides labelled with their lengths and the known angles labelled would have been very helpful.

Likes FactChecker and Delta2
LightningInAJar said:
Depends how you mean the term distance here. The Euclidean distance between two points or the line that connects the two points and is perpendicular to the side of length 46?

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
I think, by the time we actually get as far as finding out what the question is, everybody's going to be too tired to help with the answer.

• Haha
Likes berkeman, malawi_glenn, FactChecker and 1 other person
Thread closed. @LightningInAJar, please start a new thread that shows a complete description of the triangle you're interested in.

• Wow
Likes hmmm27, phinds and Delta2

What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how is it used in triangle math?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This is written as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse. This theorem is used to calculate missing side lengths in a right triangle.

How do I calculate the missing angle in a triangle with given measurements?

To calculate the missing angle in a triangle, you can use the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees. So, if you know the measurements of two angles, you can subtract their sum from 180 to find the missing angle.

What is the difference between an acute, obtuse, and right triangle?

An acute triangle has all angles measuring less than 90 degrees, an obtuse triangle has one angle measuring more than 90 degrees, and a right triangle has one angle measuring exactly 90 degrees.

How do I find the length of a side in a triangle using trigonometric ratios?

To find the length of a side in a triangle using trigonometric ratios, you can use the sine, cosine, or tangent function. For example, if you know the measure of an angle and the length of the side opposite that angle, you can use the sine function to find the length of the hypotenuse.

What is the difference between the Law of Sines and the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Sines is used to find missing angles or sides in a triangle when you know the measurements of two angles and one side, or two sides and one angle. The Law of Cosines is used to find missing sides or angles when you know the measurements of all three sides or two sides and the included angle. The Law of Cosines is also used for non-right triangles, while the Law of Sines is only used for right triangles.