Tried this in Physics, said try here

• Thread starter mufcdiver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: It's not so much the beer or the outside temp drop, it the fact that the ambient temp in the cellar should suddenly jump up 5c. I told my customers that the sudden drop outside had sucked all the warmth out of the ground and it had got trapped in the insulated cellar, they bought it but I don't know
mufcdiver
Hi,
Something weird happened the other week and I was wondering if anyone here could explain why. I run a pub and our cellar operates at about a steady 11°c all year round (cooler assisted). The other week we were enjoying some pleasant weather for the time of year(16/17°c) then wham! in the space of about 15/20 mins the outside temp dropped to 9°c. The next thing I know someone complains that the beer is warm, I roll my eyes and to pacify them say I'll check the gas, I go to the cellar and the temp is nudging 16°c(in a heatwave[30°c] it only gets to 13°c)
So in a general physics kind of way, what went on?

PS cooler was working fine!:smile:

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
The drop outside could be due to a cold front passing. Temperature can drop pretty quick when they do. Don't know why that should affect your beer... coincidence?

matthyaouw said:
The drop outside could be due to a cold front passing. Temperature can drop pretty quick when they do. Don't know why that should affect your beer... coincidence?

Its not so much the beer or the outside temp drop, it the fact that the ambient temp in the cellar should suddenly jump up 5c. I told my customers that the sudden drop outside had sucked all the warmth out of the ground and it had got trapped in the insulated cellar, they bought it but I don't know

BTW thanks for answering

There is no way to know what happened. Did somebody reverse the airco. Has somebody operated a heater dryer down there? Or baked something?

What happened to the temperature next?

You're not sitting on a volcano, are you?

Andre said:
There is no way to know what happened. Did somebody reverse the airco. Has somebody operated a heater dryer down there? Or baked something?

What happened to the temperature next?

You're not sitting on a volcano, are you?

Now that's what gets me, the only heat source near are two coal fires directly above which hadn't been lit in six months.The cooler only has two settings(on & off) and it sucks air from outside which like I say was way cooler so the only source of heat could have been from the ground but volcanoes in northern England, not this side of the last ice age:smile:

It shall remain a mystery

after about 2 hours it clawed its way back down to 11c

Is the cooler a heat pump also? Alot of coolers (mainly outdoor ones) are also designed to heat the cooler in the event that the outside temp drops below 0 C, or close to it, to prevent the contents of the cooler from freezing. Could be one of the sensors got a blast of cold air? telling the heat pump to kick in.

That would be my only logical answer other than coincidence.

Jim

so the english really do drink warm beer

lucas make your cooler?

ok enuff joking

colder air can trap warm air below it called an inversion
maybe that happened and forced warm air into the cellar ?

What is the purpose of "Tried this in Physics, said try here"?

The phrase "Tried this in Physics, said try here" is often used as a suggestion or recommendation to try a certain approach or solution in a different context or situation. It implies that the suggested method has been tried and proven successful in a similar scenario, and may be applicable in the current situation.

Why do scientists use "Tried this in Physics, said try here"?

Scientists may use this phrase as a way to share their experiences and findings with others in their field. It allows for the exchange of ideas and potential solutions, and can lead to further experimentation and discovery.

What types of problems can "Tried this in Physics, said try here" be applied to?

This phrase can be applied to a wide range of problems in various scientific disciplines, as it suggests a general approach or method that has been successful in a specific field, but may have broader applications.

What are the benefits of using "Tried this in Physics, said try here" in scientific research?

Using this phrase in scientific research allows for collaboration and knowledge sharing among scientists, potentially leading to more efficient and effective problem-solving. It also encourages critical thinking and experimentation, as researchers may adapt the suggested method to fit their specific needs.

How can I determine if "Tried this in Physics, said try here" is relevant to my research?

The best way to determine if this phrase is relevant to your research is to thoroughly investigate the suggested method and its applications. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists in your field or conduct further research to see if the approach has been used in similar contexts with success.