Trig functions, finding co-ordinates

In summary, the problem involves finding the coordinates of the point of intersection between two graphs, f(x)=sin2x and g(x)=cosx. The given domain for the solution is xE[0;270]. One possible method is to equate the two functions, sin2x and cosx, and solve for x using a trig identity for sin(2x). The solution provided by the question is A(30:0.87) and B. However, it is unclear if there are any other steps or if there are multiple points of intersection within the given domain.
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

I have a graph with the functions f(x)=sin2x and g(x)=cosx. The 2 graphs intersect at point B. They want me to find the co-ordinates of B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Must I equate the two graphs?

sin2x = cosx
2x = 90-x, 3x = 90, x=30 or 2x = 180-(90-x), x=90

It doesn't seem right, is their any other steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you given any specific range within which you want the solution, both the graphs intersect at many points.

they say that f and g intersect at A(30:0.87) and B.
the domain is xE[0;270].
Thats all that is given.

Do you know a trig identity for sin(2x)?

Related to Trig functions, finding co-ordinates

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions, also known as trig functions, are mathematical functions used to relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. The three main trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do I find the coordinates of a point on the unit circle?

The coordinates of a point on the unit circle can be found using the trigonometric functions. The x-coordinate is equal to the cosine of the angle, and the y-coordinate is equal to the sine of the angle.

3. What is the unit circle and why is it important?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a Cartesian coordinate system. It is important because it is used to define the values of the trigonometric functions for all angles, and it is also used in many mathematical and scientific applications.

4. How do I find the coordinates of a point using the tangent function?

To find the coordinates of a point using the tangent function, you first need to know the value of the angle between the point and the x-axis. Then, you can use the tangent function to find the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side, which will give you the y-coordinate. The x-coordinate will be the same as the adjacent side.

5. How can I use trigonometric functions to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometric functions can be used to solve many real-world problems, such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two objects. By using trigonometric ratios and the given information, you can set up and solve equations to find the unknown values.