Trig functions that i have to memorize?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is taking calculus and math 12 simultaneously and is currently learning about limits of trigonometric functions. They are seeking advice on which trigonometric functions they should memorize and the conversation also mentions using L'Hopital's Rule to find the limit of a specific function. The expert summarizer provides a list of trigonometric identities that may be helpful and suggests knowing how to find the limit of sinx/x as well as using trigonometric identities to simplify limits.
gillgill
I am taking calculus and math 12 at the same time. Now we are doing limits of trigonometric functions, but i know nothing about it. What are some important trig functions that i have to memorize?

Ex. I have no idea how to do these
lim (tanx-sinx)/xcosx
x->0

Physics news on Phys.org
Your book probably has a table of the concepts you need such as.

d(x)sinX = cosX
d(x) cosx = -sinx
d(x) tanx = sec^2x
d(x) secx = secx tanx
d(x) cotx = -csc^2x
d(x) cscx = -cscx cot x

Are these what you were looking for?

To do that limit, you should use L'Hopital's Rule.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\tan0 - \sin0}{0*\cos0} [/tex] is indeterminate... you get 0/0. Differentiate the top and the bottom and try the limit again. If that doesn't work, then try it once more... If this continues to fail, use another approach.

Jameson

Know how to find the limit of sinx/x as x-> 0, the other trig identities don't need much thought, usually rearranging or using trig identities yields you an easy limit.

Related to Trig functions that i have to memorize?

1. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent. These functions are commonly used in mathematics and science to relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides.

2. How do I remember the values of trigonometric functions?

One way to remember the values of trigonometric functions is by using the acronym "SOHCAHTOA." This stands for "sine equals opposite over hypotenuse," "cosine equals adjacent over hypotenuse," and "tangent equals opposite over adjacent." Another way is to use a trigonometric table or a calculator.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the values of trigonometric functions?

Yes, most calculators have the trigonometric functions programmed in. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind the functions and not solely rely on a calculator.

4. Do I have to memorize the values of trigonometric functions?

While it is beneficial to have the values of trigonometric functions memorized, it is not necessary. As long as you understand how to use the functions and are able to find the values using a calculator or table, you do not need to memorize them.

5. How can I practice memorizing trigonometric functions?

You can practice memorizing trigonometric functions by repeatedly using them in equations and problems. You can also create flashcards or quizzes to test your knowledge. Another helpful tip is to look for patterns and relationships between the values of different trigonometric functions.