Trig Identities Applications Question

In summary: This is what you should write:sin3x+sinx=2sin((3x+x)/2)cos(...)Hi! I've been tackling the question 'Express sin3x+sinx as a product and hence solve 1/2(sin3x+sinx)=sin2x ; x∈R' but I'm stumped - I'm not sure whether I've even approached it correctly. This is what I did:sin(3x+x)=sin3x.cosx+sinx.cos3xinserting this into the second equation,1/2(sin3x.cosx+sinx.cos3x)=
Auburn
Hello! I've been tackling the question 'Express sin3x+sinx as a product and hence solve 1/2(sin3x+sinx)=sin2x ; x∈R' but I'm stumped - I'm not sure whether I've even approached it correctly. This is what I did:

sin(3x+x)=sin3x.cosx+sinx.cos3x

inserting this into the second equation,
1/2(sin3x.cosx+sinx.cos3x)=2sinx.cosx

Moving cosx over
4sinx=sin3x+3sinx

sinx=sin3x

sin(2x+x)-sinx=0

sin2xcosx+cos2x.sinx-sinx=0

2sinxcos^2x+(cos^2 x - sin^2 x) sinx - sinx = 0

2sinxcos^2 x + cos^2xsinx - sin^3 x -sinx=0

sinx(2cos^2 x + cos^2 x - sin^2 x - 1) = 0

sinx(3cos^2x - sin^2x -1) =0

BRACKETS:

3cos^2x - sin^2x - 1 = 0

3cos^2x - (1- cos^2x) - 1 = 0

3cos^2x - 1 + cos^2x - 1 = 0

4cos^2x - 2 = 0

cos^2x = 1/2
and
sinx = 0

But at this point I'm stumped. The answer says x = n∏/2 , and I would've gone about the second equation by doing:
cosx = √(1/2)
x = α = cos^-1(√(1/2)) but this is obviously wrong... :S Argh, how am I supposed to get that answer?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Is the equation 1/2(sin3x + sinx) =sin2x ie do you have the 2 and 1 the wrong way round in the first line of your question?

2. sin(3x) + sin(x) is not the same as sin(3x+x)

This page might help you.
http://www.sosmath.com/trig/prodform/prodform.html

jing2178 said:
1. Is the equation 1/2(sin3x + sinx) =sin2x ie do you have the 2 and 1 the wrong way round in the first line of your question?

2. sin(3x) + sin(x) is not the same as sin(3x+x)

This page might help you.
http://www.sosmath.com/trig/prodform/prodform.html

Ah, yes it is, sorry. And thanks, I'll see what else I can do.

My working now:
sin3x+sinx = 2sin(3x+x/2)cos(3x+x/2)=0,

2sin2x.cos2x=0

adding into parenthesis
1/2(2sin2x.cos2x)=sin2x

2sin2x.cos2x=2sin2x

2sin2x.cos2x - 2sin2x=0

2sin2x(cos2x-1)=0

2sin2x=0, cos2x=0

But using the general equation formula for cos2x=0 gives me x=∏n, when the answer should be x=∏n/2? 2sin2x isn't even close.

I apologise for my high school level ignorance in advance!

Auburn said:
My working now:

It looks like you made a mistake in the cosine part, look at the formula again. Also, why did you set the right side equal to zero? It looks like you made some mistakes further down, but you need to restart from an earlier point anyway.

1/2(2sin2x.cos2x)=sin2x

does not become

2sin2x.cos2x=2sin2x

The 1/2 and the 2 merely cancel.

Auburn said:
My working now:

Note that 3x+x/2 = 7x/2 not 2x what you should write is (3x +x)/2

sin3x+sinx=2sin((3x+x)/2)cos(...) I have left the cos blank as e^(i Pi)+1=0 said you need to check the formula to obtain the correct expression.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions and are true for all possible values of the variables involved.

2. How are trig identities used in real life?

Trig identities are used to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. They are also used in fields like astronomy and cartography to calculate and predict the positions of celestial objects.

3. What is the Pythagorean identity?

The Pythagorean identity is a trigonometric identity that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. It is represented as sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1.

4. How do you prove trig identities?

Trig identities can be proved using algebraic manipulation and the properties of trigonometric functions. This involves transforming one side of the equation to match the other side using identities and algebraic rules.

5. Can trig identities be used to simplify expressions?

Yes, trig identities can be used to simplify complicated expressions involving trigonometric functions. By using identities, we can rewrite expressions in a simpler form, making them easier to solve or work with.