Trigonometry Question (Trigonometric Functions)

In summary, The problem involves finding the value of cos(t - 11pi/6) using the given information. You can first use the equation sin2x + cos2x = 1 to find the value of cos(t), and then use the cosine of a difference identity to evaluate cos(t - 11pi/6). This is known as a sum and difference equation.
MarcZZ

Homework Statement

Hello again, not looking for anyone to solve this problem this time I just need to know what the operation I'm supposed to do is called, so I can go research it and learn it.

If sin(t) = -12/13 with 3pi/2 < t < 2pi, find the following:

b) cos(t - 11pi/6)

Homework Equations

I'm assuming this is a trigonometric function that is about graphing these things. But I'm not sure. >_<

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said, I'm not looking for the solution. Just what kind of operation this is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use sin2x + cos2x = 1 to find cos(t). Then, use the cosine of a difference identity to evaluate cos(t - 11pi/6).

Oh, it's a sum and difference equation. My bad. I will go work on this now...

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the measurements and relationships of angles and sides of triangles. It is used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

2. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to calculate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

3. How is Trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in various real-life applications, such as navigation, architecture, surveying, and construction. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to solve problems related to angles, distances, and velocities.

4. What is the unit circle in Trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used in Trigonometry to represent the values of the trigonometric functions for any angle in the coordinate plane.

5. How do you solve a Trigonometry question?

To solve a Trigonometry question, you need to identify the given information, determine which trigonometric function to use, and apply the appropriate formula to find the unknown value. It is important to draw a diagram and label the sides and angles of the triangle to help visualize the problem. Practice and familiarity with trigonometric identities and properties can also be helpful in solving more complex problems.