Triple integral for cone in cylindrical coordinates.

In summary, the limits of integration for the volume of an upside down cone with a vertex at the origin and base at z=1/√2, with an angle of π/2 at the vertex, in cylindrical coordinates are 0 < θ < 2π, 0 < r < 1/√2, and r < z < 1/√2. The maximum height for the cone is 1/√2 and the limits for z are incorrect in the book's solution.
Tseliottt

Homework Statement

Find limits of integration for volume of upside down cone with vertex on origin and base at z=1/sqrt(2). Angle at vertex is pi/2. Do this in cylindrical coordinates.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

My inner integral conflicts with the books solution. So in my triple integral, the outsides are right: 0<theta<2pi ; 0<r<1/sqrt(2)

But my inner integral is r<z<1/sqrt(2) and the book says its r<z<1.

Where does this 1 come from? I thought the max height was 1/sqrt(2)?

Sorry if my formats messed up. Typing this on my phone.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a good explanation here

http://www.math24.net/calculation-of-volumes-using-triple-integrals.html

Tseliottt said:

Homework Statement

Find limits of integration for volume of upside down cone with vertex on origin and base at z=1/sqrt(2). Angle at vertex is pi/2. Do this in cylindrical coordinates.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

My inner integral conflicts with the books solution. So in my triple integral, the outsides are right: 0<theta<2pi ; 0<r<1/sqrt(2)

But my inner integral is r<z<1/sqrt(2) and the book says its r<z<1.

Where does this 1 come from? I thought the max height was 1/sqrt(2)?

Sorry if my formats messed up. Typing this on my phone.
It looks to me like you did the limits of integration correctly.

Yea. After looking at that link, I think the books solution is wrong. Thanks. I spent like an hour trying to figure out what I did wrong. Ill ask my professor to make sure.

I've followed my link above and I think your limits for z are r < z < 1/√2

My triple integral is

int (0 to 1/√2) r dr int (0 to 2∏) dθ int (r to 1/√2) dz

Related to Triple integral for cone in cylindrical coordinates.

1. What is a triple integral for a cone in cylindrical coordinates?

A triple integral for a cone in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical calculation used to find the volume of a cone in three-dimensional space. It involves solving three integrals, each representing a different dimension (in this case, the radius, height, and angle) of the cone.

2. How is the triple integral for a cone in cylindrical coordinates different from other types of integrals?

The triple integral for a cone in cylindrical coordinates is different from other types of integrals because it involves integrating over three variables instead of just one or two. It also requires converting the cone's equation from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z).

3. What is the formula for a triple integral for a cone in cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for a triple integral for a cone in cylindrical coordinates is ∭f(r, θ, z) dV = ∫∫∫f(r, θ, z) r dz dθ dr, where f(r, θ, z) represents the function being integrated, and dV represents the infinitesimal volume element in cylindrical coordinates.

4. Can the triple integral for a cone in cylindrical coordinates be used to find other properties of a cone?

Yes, the triple integral for a cone in cylindrical coordinates can also be used to find the surface area and center of mass of a cone. This involves integrating different functions and applying specific formulas, such as the surface area formula for a cone and the center of mass formula for a solid of revolution.

5. What are some real-world applications of the triple integral for a cone in cylindrical coordinates?

The triple integral for a cone in cylindrical coordinates has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to design and analyze objects with conical shapes, such as rockets, cooling towers, and traffic cones. It is also essential in calculating the volume and surface area of cylindrical tanks and silos.