Triple Integral using inequalties

In summary, the problem asks to evaluate the triple integral of z^2 over a solid defined by multiple inequalities. The student is struggling with the variables in the inequalities but realizes that substitutions can simplify the boundaries in the new variables.
1up20x6

Homework Statement

Evaluate [itex]\iiint z^2 \,dx\,dy\,dz[/itex] over domain V, where V is the solid defined by
[tex]1 \leq x+y+3z \leq 2[/tex][tex]0 \leq 2y-z \leq 3[/tex][tex]-1 \leq x+y \leq 1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do simple triple integrals, but all the variables in the inequalities are tripping me up. I tried fumbling with the inequalities to find [tex]-y-1 \leq x \leq 1-y [/tex][tex]\frac{z}{2} \leq y \leq \frac{3+z}{2}[/tex][tex]\frac{1-x-y}{3} \leq z \leq \frac{2-x-y}{3}[/tex] but quickly realized that if I just did that, my solution would have x and y variables in it. Basically, I'm not sure about what else my first step should be to fully isolate at least one of the variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would consider the substitutions [tex]
u = x + y + 3z \\
v = 2y - z \\
w = x + y [/tex] which give you simple boundaries in the new variables.

Likes LCKurtz

Related to Triple Integral using inequalties

1. What is a triple integral using inequalities?

A triple integral using inequalities is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape by using three different inequalities to define the boundaries of the shape.

2. How is a triple integral using inequalities different from a regular triple integral?

A regular triple integral uses equations to define the boundaries of a shape, while a triple integral using inequalities uses inequalities to define the boundaries. This allows for more complex and irregular shapes to be integrated.

3. What is the purpose of using inequalities in a triple integral?

Inequalities allow for a more flexible and versatile way of defining the boundaries of a shape, making it easier to calculate the volume of complex three-dimensional objects that cannot be easily defined using equations.

4. Can a triple integral using inequalities be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional shape?

Yes, a triple integral using inequalities can be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional shape, as long as the boundaries can be defined using three inequalities.

5. How is a triple integral using inequalities used in real-world applications?

A triple integral using inequalities is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, such as fluids in motion or the amount of material needed for a specific construction project.