Triplet ESR in aromatic molecules

In summary, The triplets in aromatic molecules have a total spin of 1 and three possible spin projections to the magnetic field. When a magnetic field is applied, these levels mix and form new states T+ and T-, with spin projections of +1 and -1 respectively. During ESR measurements, a Pi/2 pulse induces a high field transition from the To state to the T+ state, causing the electron's spin projection to change from 0 to +1. This change induces free induction decay and allows us to observe the ESR signal.
woodywood
Hi there,

I am a little confused with triplets in magnetic filed and ESR measurements on them.

Triplet levels in aromatic molecules are indexed Tx, Ty and Tz and if magnetic field is applied they start to mix. If magnetic filed is along the x direction of the crystal, then Tx level remains the same while Ty and Tz are being mixed and we obtain T+ To and T-, where To=Tx (see attached file). Tx state has 91% of electron population.

Now, each of triplet states have total spin of 1, and its projection to the magnetic field can be -1, 0, +1. I assume that these newly created states T+ To and T- correspond to +1, 0, -1 projection of the spin to the magnetic field.

After this one starts to do ESR on a high field transition, so one induces transitions To -> T+. This is the point I do not understand very well, if electron had 0 spin projection to the magnetic field and then after the Pi/2 pulse it goes to the T+ state and then it has +1 projection to the external magnetic field. After this Pi/2 pulse electrons start to precess and do free induction decay.

Basically I do not understand how can electron that is parallel to the magnetic field induce FID and therefore observe the signal of it?

I understand how ESR works in terms of magnetization, but for some reason I cannot figure out how this would work :(

Attachments

• triplets.png
    triplets.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your confusion with triplets in magnetic field and ESR measurements. Let me try to explain it in a simpler way.

In aromatic molecules, the triplet levels (Tx, Ty, and Tz) have a total spin of 1. This means that the electrons in these levels have three possible spin projections to the magnetic field: -1, 0, and +1. When a magnetic field is applied, these levels start to mix, resulting in new states T+ and T-, with spin projections of +1 and -1 respectively.

Now, during ESR measurements, a high field transition is induced from the To state to the T+ state. This means that the electron, which originally had a spin projection of 0 to the magnetic field, now has a spin projection of +1. This transition is induced by a Pi/2 pulse, which essentially flips the electron's spin.

After this Pi/2 pulse, the electron starts to precess and undergoes free induction decay (FID). This is because the electron now has a non-zero spin projection to the magnetic field (+1), and it is this precession that produces the ESR signal.

To summarize, the electron's spin projection to the magnetic field changes from 0 to +1 due to the Pi/2 pulse, and it is this change that induces the FID and allows us to observe the ESR signal.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Related to Triplet ESR in aromatic molecules

What is Triplet ESR in aromatic molecules?

Triplet ESR in aromatic molecules is a type of electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy that is used to study the behavior of unpaired electrons in aromatic compounds. It measures the spin state of the electrons in the triplet state, which is a state of higher energy compared to the singlet state.

How does Triplet ESR differ from other ESR techniques?

Triplet ESR is unique because it specifically measures the spin state of electrons in the triplet state, rather than the singlet state which is typically measured in other ESR techniques. This makes it a valuable tool for studying the properties and behavior of aromatic molecules.

What information can be obtained from Triplet ESR in aromatic molecules?

Triplet ESR can provide information about the electronic structure, spin dynamics, and molecular interactions of aromatic molecules. It can also be used to identify and characterize radical species in these compounds.

What are some applications of Triplet ESR in aromatic molecules?

Triplet ESR has a wide range of applications, including studying the reactivity of aromatic compounds in organic synthesis, investigating the magnetic properties of materials, and understanding the behavior of radicals in biological systems.

Are there any limitations to using Triplet ESR in aromatic molecules?

One limitation of Triplet ESR is that it requires specialized equipment and expertise, which may not be readily accessible in all laboratories. Additionally, the technique is not suitable for studying compounds with low spin densities or highly symmetric structures.