Trivalent vs. Quadrivalent Flu Vaccines This Year

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's preference for getting the Quadrivalent vaccine over the Trivalent vaccine for extra protection against both B strains of the flu. They also discuss the availability of both vaccines and the cost difference, and mention that the Quadrivalent vaccine is recommended by the CDC. It is also noted that the speaker's insurance does cover the cost of the vaccine, but it can be inconvenient to get. The CDC estimates that 96 million doses of the quadrivalent vaccine will be available for the 2016-2017 season and there is no preference for one vaccine over the other.
berkeman
Mentor
I try to get my flu shot early each year because of my medical work, and I got mine a couple of days ago. The pharmacy only had Trivalent vaccine, so that's what I got. But looking into the Quadrivalent vaccine, it looks like the extra protection (against both B strains) might have been worth trying to find a pharmacy that stocked it.

Do folks know how common it is to get the Quadrivalent vaccine this year versus the Trivalent vaccine? Are both typically available in most years, or is the Quadrivalent vaccine a newer idea?

My engineering company is setting up vaccinations for employees (a nice perk), and they are trying to decide which version to request. The Trivalent vaccinations are $25 each, and the Quadrivalent vaccinations are $35 each. Thanks for your thoughts.

Biology news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
I try to get my flu shot early each year because of my medical work, and I got mine a couple of days ago. The pharmacy only had Trivalent vaccine, so that's what I got. But looking into the Quadrivalent vaccine, it looks like the extra protection (against both B strains) might have been worth trying to find a pharmacy that stocked it.

Do folks know how common it is to get the Quadrivalent vaccine this year versus the Trivalent vaccine? Are both typically available in most years, or is the Quadrivalent vaccine a newer idea?

My engineering company is setting up vaccinations for employees (a nice perk), and they are trying to decide which version to request. The Trivalent vaccinations are $25 each, and the Quadrivalent vaccinations are $35 each. Thanks for your thoughts.
Your insurance doesn't pay for them Berke? Thank you for reminding me I need to get mine, I guess I need to read up on them before I go.

I found this.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2016-2017.htm

Four component vaccines are recommended to include the same three viruses above, plus an additional B virus called B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (B/Yamagata lineage).

Evo said:
Your insurance doesn't pay for them Berke?
They do, but it's pretty inconvenient. If you are in the doctor's office for a regular visit, they can give you the shot as part of the visit. Otherwise, they have free clinics on some Saturdays, but the line is around the building...
Evo said:
Thanks! :smile:

More from the CDC:
Of the 157 to 168 million doses of influenza vaccine projected to be available for the 2016-2017 season, manufacturers estimate that 96 million doses will be quadrivalent flu vaccine.
There is no preference for one vaccine over another among the recommended, approved injectable influenza vaccines.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/quadrivalent.htm

Likes berkeman

1. What are trivalent and quadrivalent flu vaccines?

Trivalent and quadrivalent flu vaccines are types of flu vaccines that protect against different strains of the flu virus. Trivalent vaccines protect against three strains, while quadrivalent vaccines protect against four strains.

2. Is one type of vaccine better than the other?

There is no clear consensus on whether trivalent or quadrivalent flu vaccines are better. Both types offer protection against the most common strains of the flu virus and are recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

3. Why might one type of vaccine be recommended over the other?

The decision to recommend one type of vaccine over the other may vary depending on factors such as the severity of flu activity in a particular year and the availability of different vaccine options. The CDC and other health organizations closely monitor flu activity and make recommendations based on this information.

4. Are there any differences in side effects between trivalent and quadrivalent flu vaccines?

Both types of vaccines have similar side effects, which may include soreness, redness, or swelling at the injection site, as well as mild flu-like symptoms such as fever, headache, and fatigue. These side effects are typically mild and temporary.

5. Should I get a trivalent or quadrivalent flu vaccine this year?

Ultimately, the decision to get a trivalent or quadrivalent flu vaccine should be made in consultation with your healthcare provider. They can help you determine which type of vaccine is most appropriate for you based on your individual health and any potential risk factors.