Trouble finding Clebsch-Gordan coefficient for deutron triplet state?

In summary, the deutron triplet state can be written as: J_-|j,m>=[(j+m)(j-m+1)]1/2|j,m-1>, but is difficult to work with because of the 0 term. Using the distributive law correctly, every term in the sum should have a lowering operator acting on it. When the operator acts on the lowest eigenvalue, it disappears. However, when the operator acts on the second entry, it goes to 0.
semc
Hi, for the deutron triplet state, I am trying to find the coefficient using the lowering operator but I kept getting 0 hope someone can help me.

Using
J-|j,m>=[(j+m)(j-m+1)]1/2|j,m-1>
I can get from |++> to 1/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex](|-+> + |+->) but from here I am stuck since j+m=0 for |+->.

What is wrong with my working? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you are not remembering that J- has two pieces?

[tex]J_- = J_{1-} + J_{2-}[/tex]

[tex]J_- |+-> + |-+> = J_{1-} + J_{2-}|+-> + |-+>[/tex] I am not sure about this part but i split the operators into
[tex]J_- = J_{1-}|+-> + |-+> + J_{2-}|+-> + |-+>[/tex]
so [tex]J_{1-}|+-> + |-+> [/tex] is where I am stuck since [tex]m_1=1/2 , m_2=-1/2 [/tex] so everything will be reduced to 0.

Don't forget the brackets!

[tex]\left( J_{1-} + J_{2-} \right) \left(\lvert +- \rangle + \lvert -+ \rangle \right)[/tex]

There are 4 terms here, 2 of which survive the lowering operators.

Yeah I am aware there are 4 terms but is this correct?
[tex]J_- = J_{1-}|+-> + |-+> + J_{2-}|+-> + |-+>[/tex]
If its correct then I should be able to evaluate this [tex]J_{1-}|+-> + |-+> [/tex]
I am aware that when the lowering operator acts on the lowest eigenvalue it will disappear but I can't continue since the formula has (j+m) term which is 0 for different spins. By the way I am doing revision for this so it would be better if anyone can just tell me what I did wrong here. This is not homework. Thanks

You're not using the distributive law correctly: (A+B)(x+y) = Ax + Ay + Bx + By. Every state in the sum should have a lowering operator acting on it.

Two of the terms vanish but two survive because you're acting on a + with the lowering operator.

I really still don't see what I did wrong there. I simply use (A+B)(x+y)=A(x+y)+B(x+y). I am having problem here because I am using the lowering operator on + but I am getting 0 which is clearly wrong but I just don't know why I got it wrong. I will show my working

Using the lowering operator [tex]J_-|jm>=((j+m)(j-m+1))^{1/2}|jm-1>[/tex]
on |-+> I got this [tex]J_-|-1/2, 1/2>=((-1/2+1/2)(-1/2-1/2+1))^{1/2}|-1/2,-1/2>[/tex]
[tex](-1/2+1/2)(-1/2-1/2+1)=(0)(0)=0[/tex] and for |+-> the operator is also acting on the second entry which is - so it goes to 0 as well.
Clearly I am making a stupid mistake but I really don't see it myself. Hopefully someone can tell me what's wrong

eg.

[tex]S_{1-} \lvert +- \rangle = \lvert -- \rangle[/tex]

Sorry, we cross-posted...

[tex]\sqrt{(j+m)(j-m+1)} = \sqrt{(1/2 + 1/2)(1/2 - 1/2 + 1)} = 1[/tex]

Oxvillian said:
[tex]\sqrt{(j+m)(j-m+1)} = \sqrt{(1/2 + 1/2)(1/2 - 1/2 + 1)} = 1[/tex]

Yes but I believe this is for the case of |++> since j=m=1/2?

It's also the case for |+-> because J1- only acts on the +. It leaves the - alone.

Maybe that's the point you're missing? J1- lowers the first index and leaves the second alone; J2- acts on the second index and leaves the first alone.

Yes I am aware of that but in the working I wrote a few post ago, the coefficient is 0 since we have (j+m) which is 0.

but j=1/2 and m=1/2.

Think this is the part that I got confuse. For |+-> , does it mean that j=1/2 , m=-1/2?

semc said:
Think this is the part that I got confuse. For |+-> , does it mean that j=1/2 , m=-1/2?

Aha! I think we've nailed the problem. What you have here is the tensor product of two spin-1/2 states. So j1 = j2= 1/2. The + and - refer to m1 and m2 respectively.

For instance |+-> would have j1 = j2= 1/2, m1 = 1/2 and m2 = -1/2.

Haha I get it now. Thank you so much for explaining this to me!

No problem :cool:

Related to Trouble finding Clebsch-Gordan coefficient for deutron triplet state?

1. What is a Clebsch-Gordan coefficient?

The Clebsch-Gordan coefficient is a mathematical value that represents the relationship between two quantum states in a composite system. It is used to calculate the probability of the two states combining to form a single, new state.

2. How is the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient calculated?

The Clebsch-Gordan coefficient is calculated using the quantum mechanical angular momentum addition formula, which takes into account the properties of the individual states and their coupling. This formula is complex and involves vector operations, making it a challenging calculation.

3. What is the significance of the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient?

The Clebsch-Gordan coefficient is an important tool in quantum mechanics, as it allows for the prediction and understanding of the behavior of composite systems. It is used in a variety of fields, including atomic and molecular physics, nuclear physics, and solid state physics.

4. Can the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient be negative?

Yes, the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient can have a positive, negative, or zero value. The sign of the coefficient indicates the relative phase of the two states in the composite system. A positive value indicates constructive interference, while a negative value indicates destructive interference.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient?

Yes, the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient has practical applications in various fields, including quantum computing and quantum information theory. It is also used in the analysis of atomic spectra and in the study of spin interactions in particles.