Trouble in understanding a few points of colligative properties

In summary: No problem.In summary, Raoult's law states that the vapor pressure of a pure volatile solvent is decreased when a non-volatile solute is added. The elevation in BP and depression in FP are also affected by the addition of a volatile solute.
subhradeep mahata
I am having a little trouble in understanding a few points of colligative properties. Any help will be appreciated.

First, let's consider RLVP. We know that addition of a non-volatile solute decreases the vapor pressure of a pure volatile solvent. However, I am getting confused between the terms "solvent" and "solution". Here, is the vapor pressure of the solvent reduced, or that of the whole solution? As we can see, vapors of solute are not present as it is non-volatile, hence vapor pressure of the whole solution is simultaneously decreased (meaning that it is less than that of pure solvent).

Now, let's consider elevation in BP. As we add a solute to a pure volatile solvent, is the BP of the solvent increased or that of the whole solution? I went through many solved examples, and I am guessing that it is the solution whose BP is increased: BPsolution = BPpure solvent + ΔTb, where ΔTb=kb×m×i

I have a couple of questions for you:
1) In the calculations of CP, is the solute ALWAYS considered to be non-volatile? If not, then please explain how vapor pressure and BP will be affected by a volatile solute (added to a volatile solvent).
2) The solvent/solution dilemma, especially in elevation in BP and depression in FP. Does the BP of the solvent remain unchanged?
Please try to keep your answer as basic as possible, avoid complicated explanations.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
1) Have you heard of Raoult's Law?
2) In the case of an involatile solute, the vapour is pure solvent, and what boils or freezes is pure solvent. However, the vapour/solid is not in equilibrium with pure liquid solvent, but with a solution of solute in solvent. Therefore we talk about the VP/BP/FP of the solution. Generally when we talk about the VP/BP/FP of "solvent", without further qualification, we mean the pure solvent (pure liquid in equilibrium with its vapour/solid).

Yes, I am aware of Raoult's law, and the case in which we mix a volatile solute and volatile solvent. But in (1), I am specifically taking about the four colligative properties (RLVP, ELEVATION IN BP, DEPRESSION IN FP, OSMOTIC PRESSUE).
Thanks for your explanation.

It's more complicated, and real solutions often deviate from Raoult's Law. But note that if the solute is more volatile than the solvent, the vapour pressure is increased, and the boiling point lowered. Freezing depends on whether the components are miscible in the solid; if they are not, the FP is lowered.

1. What are colligative properties?

Colligative properties are physical properties of a solution that depend on the concentration of solute particles, rather than the specific type of solute. These properties include boiling point elevation, freezing point depression, vapor pressure lowering, and osmotic pressure.

2. Why is it important to understand colligative properties?

Understanding colligative properties is important in various fields of science, such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It helps us predict and control the behavior of solutions, as well as the effects of solutes on the properties of solvents.

3. What factors affect colligative properties?

The main factor that affects colligative properties is the concentration of solute particles. Other factors that may influence these properties include temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent.

4. What are some real-life applications of colligative properties?

Colligative properties have many practical applications. For example, they are used in the production of antifreeze solutions, in the preservation of food by freezing, and in the purification of water through reverse osmosis.

5. How can I improve my understanding of colligative properties?

To improve your understanding of colligative properties, it is important to first have a strong foundation in chemistry and the properties of solutions. You can also conduct experiments and calculations to observe and analyze these properties, and consult reliable sources such as textbooks and scientific articles for further information.