Trouble opening a .tif file....

• Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, a user experienced file corruption while using Autodesk Sketchbook Pro and is unable to open the file. They have tried to open it with other programs and have also tried converting the file extension, but have had no luck. It is suggested to try recovery methods or using other image editing software to see if any data can be retrieved, but it is also mentioned that the file may need to be recreated. The user expresses regret for not having a backup of the file.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Hello PF! Last night I was working on something use Autodesk Sketchbook Pro. Since I use layers, I save WIPs using a .tif extension, as this is what Sketchbook supports. Short story shorter, the computer crashed. As of now, the file is still in the location where it was saved, yet it cannot be opened. When I try to open it, a popup window appears saying that Sketchbook can’t open the file because it’s not a valid image, its format or its size is not supported, or I may not have read permission for it. I can’t open the file with Photoshop or even view it with Windows Photo Viewer, either.

The thing I was working on is due on Thursday, so I need to know if the file can be fixed (and how...?). Otherwise, I’m going to have to start over and most likely change it entirely to account for time (ouch).

Thanks, PQ

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds like it got corrupted. There are some recovery tips around the web. Here is one
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-repair-a-tiff-file

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Also check the file size to see if there's content in it. Many times when a file is corrupt its because the editing program was trying to write data to it during the crash. If the file has 0 bytes or a characteristically small number for tiff files like 50 or 100 bytes (ie <1K) then you've probably lost everything in it and recovery may not work (but you can always hope).

So I imagine you don't have a backup anywhere but if you've emailed it to anyone then you could get a version back from your email.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Hey quarky, I agree w/ the others that it sounds exactly like a file corruption but some programs do an autosave of your work so there may be a recoverable copy around if the one you see isn't recoverable.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
jedishrfu said:
Also check the file size to see if there's content in it. Many times when a file is corrupt its because the editing program was trying to write data to it during the crash. If the file has 0 bytes or a characteristically small number for tiff files like 50 or 100 bytes (ie <1K) then you've probably lost everything in it and recovery may not work (but you can always hope).
Thanks, luckily the file size reads 2.73 MB, so I guess not everything is lost. I'm just waiting for Sketchbook to finish updating and then I'll try recovery.
jedishrfu said:
So I imagine you don't have a backup anywhere but if you've emailed it to anyone then you could get a version back from your email.
Stupid me for not having a backup anywhere. I did, in fact, email a basic draft to someone, but at this point I don't have any time to make use of it.

phinds said:
Hey quarky, I agree w/ the others that it sounds exactly like a file corruption but some programs do an autosave of your work so there may be a recoverable copy around if the one you see isn't recoverable.
Hey, phinds, unfortunately Sketchbook does not autosave. It's a very basic program. Currently regretting not using Photoshop for this instead...

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Hey, phinds, unfortunately Sketchbook does not autosave. It's a very basic program. Currently regretting not using Photoshop for this instead...
Ah, bummer.

Okay, I'm guessing that I'm never going to get this file back? :cry:
tumblr_oi31rkWqrN1vf8td0o1_500.png

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Okay, I'm guessing that I'm never going to get this file back? :cry:
Sure you are, you just have to completely recreate it :frown:

phinds said:
Sure you are, you just have to completely recreate it :frown:
Ughhh, this sucks so bad.

Thanks a lot anyways, guys! I appreciate your time immensely. :smile:

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Sounds like it got corrupted. There are some recovery tips around the web. Here is one
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-repair-a-tiff-file
I've never used these trial programs, but have made some pretty sweet saves with the open-source tool TestDisk, which can help locate temp copies of the original file if it is indeed corrupt. I also suggest checking your Windows File History/Previous Versions.

With some luck you might be able to open the file and be able to view some of the original image, but the image may have lost it's editing/layers. Best bet is to try other image editing software, some may overlook this error and display any remaining data...! Also you could try converting the file from .tif to .psd, .jpg, .gif..some options you will lose layer editing but with the original image as a reference at least you will have your original piece to work from...!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
axiom said:
With some luck you might be able to open the file and be able to view some of the original image, but the image may have lost it's editing/layers. Best bet is to try other image editing software, some may overlook this error and display any remaining data...! Also you could try converting the file from .tif to .psd, .jpg, .gif..some options you will lose layer editing but with the original image as a reference at least you will have your original piece to work from...!
I already tried opening it up with Photoshop CC, but no dice. Not sure how to properly change the file extension without opening up the image somewhere, either.

But, hey, thanks :) I'm just going to accept the everything's gone for good.

Using either

For PC - Graphics Converter Pro - http://www.iconcool.com/graphics-converter.htm
For Mac - GraphicConverter - https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/

Open your image file and if your lucky, it will and then either save as in original file format or save/export in a format of your choice. GraphicConverter is pretty good and I've used a few times, conversion, tricky to open files [damaged resources]. Graphics Converter Pro [not used] looks similar and should llow you to do the same..!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
axiom said:
Using either

For PC - Graphics Converter Pro - http://www.iconcool.com/graphics-converter.htm
For Mac - GraphicConverter - https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/

Open your image file and if your lucky, it will and then either save as in original file format or save/export in a format of your choice. GraphicConverter is pretty good and I've used a few times, conversion, tricky to open files [damaged resources]. Graphics Converter Pro [not used] looks similar and should llow you to do the same..!
Thanks, mate, I'll look into this for next time. :smile:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Thanks, mate, I'll look into this for next time. :smile:
There shouldn't be a next time, USB drives are cheap. :)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I use the basic free version. You may be able to open the files using software from http://www.libtiff.org/, not that doing it now will help since your deadline is tomorrow...

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Fervent Freyja said:
I use the basic free version. You may be able to open the files using software from http://www.libtiff.org/, not that doing it now will help since your deadline is tomorrow...
Haha, thanks anyways :D

Likes Fervent Freyja

1. Why am I having trouble opening a .tif file?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to compatibility issues with the software you are using, or the file may be corrupted. It's also possible that the file is too large to be opened by your computer's memory.

2. Can I open a .tif file on any device?

Yes, most devices are capable of opening .tif files as long as they have the appropriate software installed. However, some older or less common devices may not have the necessary software, in which case you may need to convert the file to a different format.

3. Is there a specific program I need to open a .tif file?

There are several programs that can open .tif files, such as Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Photos, and GIMP. However, the program you use will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

4. How can I fix a corrupted .tif file?

If the .tif file is corrupted, there may not be a way to fix it. However, you can try using file repair software or contacting the sender to see if they have a non-corrupted version of the file. It's always a good idea to regularly back up important files to prevent loss in case of corruption.

5. Can I convert a .tif file to a different format?

Yes, there are many online and offline tools available to convert .tif files to other formats such as .jpg or .png. Keep in mind that some file types may not support all the features of a .tif file, so there may be some loss of quality or data in the conversion process.