Trouble Setting Up Equation for Weight Loss Over Time

• Thread starter ilikeintegrals
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses setting up an equation to calculate weight loss over time, assuming constant exercise and calorie intake. The base metabolic rate (BMR) is given by a formula based on weight, height, and age. The equation for weight loss (∆W) takes into account BMR, exercise, food intake, and the number of days. The conversion factor of 7700 calories per 1kg is also mentioned. The age from the BMR will be related to the days in the ∆W equation. The speaker is seeking help with setting up the equation.
ilikeintegrals
I am trying to set up an equation to find weight loss over time where the amount of exercise and number of calories consumed is constant. I am having trouble with it. The base amount of calories that your body burns every day (BMR) is based on your current weight. BMR is the base metabolic rate and is given by:
BMR = 10*weight + 6.25*height -5*age + 5

Weight loss (∆W) is given by:
Initial weight - ((BMR + Exercise - Food intake)*∆days)/7700
Wi - ((BMR+E-C)×∆d)/7700

7700 is the calories in 1kg (just in case you were wondering). I am to assume that the calorie intake, the height and amount of exercise is constant. The age (in years) from BRM will be related to the days from the ∆W equation.
Help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
ilikeintegrals said:
I am having trouble with it.

What kind of trouble; you've listed all the information you wish to include, and relationships among the variables. Where's the sticking point? What information did you want to pull out?

1. Why is it important to set up equations correctly?

Setting up equations correctly is important because it ensures that the solution to a problem is accurate and can be easily verified. It also helps in identifying and understanding the relationships between different variables in a problem.

2. What are some common mistakes when setting up equations?

Some common mistakes when setting up equations include not considering all the given information, using the wrong mathematical operations, and not correctly representing the relationship between variables. It is important to double check the equation to avoid these mistakes.

3. How do I know which variables to include in an equation?

The variables to include in an equation depend on the given information and the problem being solved. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to identify and include all relevant variables.

4. Can I use the same equation for different problems?

Yes, in some cases, the same equation can be used for different problems if they have the same variables and relationships. However, it is important to carefully consider the given information and make any necessary adjustments to the equation.

5. Are there any tips for setting up equations more efficiently?

Some tips for setting up equations more efficiently include identifying and organizing all the given information, using clear and concise variables, and using diagrams or tables to represent relationships between variables. It is also helpful to practice and check your work for accuracy.