Troubles with an antiderivative

In summary, the conversation is about checking the correctness of the solution for a given integral, specifically an integral involving a squared variable and the square root of a linear function. The person asks if their solution is correct and if the result is equal to the original integrand. The expert points out a mistake in their solution and suggests using a tool to verify the book's solution. The expert also mentions the possibility of different correct solutions differing by a constant.
Anti Hydrogen
Homework Statement
the book shows a solution that i m not getting
Relevant Equations
i attached the file (word file) please check it out tell me if i am right or wrong
please tell me if i am right or wrong

Attachments

• The book says.docx
    13.5 KB · Views: 141
Physics news on Phys.org
Anti Hydrogen said:
the book shows a solution that i m not getting
Differentiate your solution. Is the result you get equal to the integrand? If so, your work is correct.
Differentiate the book's solution. Is the result equal to the integrand? If so, the book's solution is correct.

Note that it is possible for two people to get two different antiderivatives, with both being correct. In such cases, the two antiderivatives differ by a constant.

• Informative
Likes Anti Hydrogen
Your book is right:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+u^2*(a+bu)^(1/2)+du

First mistake I saw in your solution is that you forgot the factor ##2## in the rule ##(a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2## while expanding ##\left(\frac{v-a}{b}\right)^2##. I did not read further so it may contain further mistakes.

• Informative
Likes Anti Hydrogen

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is a mathematical function that is the reverse of a derivative. It is used to find the original function when only the derivative is known.

2. Why do I need to find an antiderivative?

Antiderivatives are useful in solving many real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object given its velocity or finding the original function of a rate of change.

3. What are the common troubles with finding an antiderivative?

One common trouble with finding an antiderivative is that there is not always a simple, closed-form solution. Another difficulty can arise when dealing with non-elementary functions, as they may not have a known antiderivative.

4. How can I find an antiderivative?

There are several techniques for finding antiderivatives, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is also helpful to know common antiderivative formulas for basic functions.

5. Is an antiderivative the same as an indefinite integral?

Yes, an antiderivative and an indefinite integral refer to the same concept. The notation for an indefinite integral is ∫f(x)dx, while the notation for an antiderivative is F(x). Both represent the original function that has a given derivative.