Why Is My 15kV Tesla Coil Not Working?

In summary: If transformer is operational, it could be that the primary coil is not wound correctly. Have you checked for proper primary coil winding?
marcopolo0919
Hi

I've built a NST 15kV tesla coil and I hooked it up today and it kinda didn't work. I'm wondering if anyone would like to help me as it's a school project and needs to be finished ASAP so if anyone might have any ideas / advice, that would be amazing!

Pictures of all my parts: http://imgur.com/a/aoHBA

If you want to help I can send more pictures of all my parts and tell you how I wire it all up as it could just be a problem like that but please could someone reply ASAP as I really need help quickly.

Also, I'm always on my email so I'll reply faster if you reply to me here: traveltyler27@gmail.com

Thanks!
Marco

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "doesn't work". Is the spark gap firing? Is there sparking anywhere else? Have you verified that your transformer is operational? As far as I can tell, it should be a transformer/rectifier. The picture you have of your "transformer" box seems to be empty.

Keep in mind that high voltage is involved. Make sure you unplug the whole thing before you approach it, then short out the capacitor bank using something with well-insulated handle.

You really should have someone around who knows what they are doing, though.

Sorry for not going into detail, I will do that now.

-The spark gap fires and works perfectly, sparks jump across the copper tubes.
-The transformer works and is operational, the picture of it there is just with the cover off showing the wiring at the top, I haven't got a side on picture of it.
-I'm not stupid about this project and new all about the safety requirements, each capacitor has a bleed resistor on it for extra caution and I do wait before touching it.
-Also I have my teacher who looks after me but he's not really knowledgeable about the inner workings of a tesla coil which is why I have come here.

Thanks,
Marco

For a tesla coil to work the primary and secondary circuits have to resonate at exactly the same frequency. What are you using as a tuning device to adjust resonant frequency?

If spark gap is firing, you should be getting some output voltage on secondary. So yeah, it might be matter of tuning.

Related to Why Is My 15kV Tesla Coil Not Working?

What is a Tesla Coil?

A Tesla Coil is an electrical resonant transformer circuit designed by Nikola Tesla in the late 1800s. It is used to produce high-voltage, low-current, and high-frequency electricity.

What is the purpose of a Tesla Coil project?

The purpose of a Tesla Coil project can vary, but it is often used to demonstrate high-voltage electricity and wireless energy transmission. It can also be used for educational purposes or as a hobby project.

What materials are needed for a Tesla Coil project?

The materials needed for a Tesla Coil project can include a power source, primary and secondary coils, capacitors, a spark gap, and a base for the coils. Other materials such as wires, resistors, and insulators may also be needed.

What safety precautions should be taken when working on a Tesla Coil project?

Working with high-voltage electricity can be dangerous, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. This can include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following safety guidelines for handling high-voltage devices.

Are there any resources or guides available for building a Tesla Coil project?

Yes, there are many online resources and guides available for building a Tesla Coil project. These can include step-by-step tutorials, videos, and forums where you can ask for help and advice from experienced builders.