Troubleshooting (b), (c) & (e): Seeking Assistance

In summary, the speaker is having difficulties with parts (b), (c), and (e) and is seeking help. They are advised to write out the formulas for the dot product and compare them, and to think about part (e) geometrically and draw examples. They also ask for further clarification on how to approach part (e).
Joe20
I have some difficulties answering part (b), (c) and (e).

Help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 50
Mathematics news on Phys.org
(b) If you write out the formula for the dot product, what do you get? Now compare that with the RHS. What can you conclude?

(c) Again, I would write out the formulae for the dot products. What can you conclude?

(e) I would think about this one geometrically. Try drawing a few examples and see what you come up with.

Ackbach said:
(b) If you write out the formula for the dot product, what do you get? Now compare that with the RHS. What can you conclude?

(c) Again, I would write out the formulae for the dot products. What can you conclude?

(e) I would think about this one geometrically. Try drawing a few examples and see what you come up with.
Hi Ackbach,

Thanks for the advice. I am not very sure what is meant by thinking it geometrically and drawing a few examples in part (e). Would further advice on this. Thanks.

Alexis87 said:
Hi Ackbach,

Thanks for the advice. I am not very sure what is meant by thinking it geometrically and drawing a few examples in part (e). Would further advice on this. Thanks.

Well, here's another hint: $\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b}=\mathbf{a}+(-\mathbf{b})$. So, comparing $\mathbf{a}+\mathbf{b}$ with $\mathbf{a}+(-\mathbf{b})$ gives you some information about what's going on. Geometrically, how does $\mathbf{b}$ compare with $-\mathbf{b}?$

1. What is the purpose of seeking assistance during troubleshooting?

Seeking assistance during troubleshooting is important because it allows for a fresh perspective and additional expertise to help solve the problem more efficiently. It also prevents potential errors or mistakes that could occur from working on the issue alone.

2. How do I know when it's time to seek assistance during troubleshooting?

If you have exhausted all possible solutions and are still unable to resolve the issue, it's a good indication that it's time to seek assistance. Additionally, if the problem is complex or beyond your level of expertise, it's best to reach out for help.

3. Who should I seek assistance from during troubleshooting?

Ideally, you should seek assistance from someone who has experience or expertise in the specific issue you are troubleshooting. This could be a colleague, a mentor, or a professional in the field. It's also helpful to seek assistance from someone who has a different perspective or approach to problem-solving.

4. How should I communicate my problem when seeking assistance?

When seeking assistance, it's important to clearly and concisely communicate the problem you are experiencing. Provide relevant information such as what steps you have already taken to troubleshoot, any error messages you are receiving, and any other relevant details that may help the person assisting you.

5. What should I do if I still can't solve the problem after seeking assistance?

If you are still unable to solve the problem after seeking assistance, don't be afraid to reach out to additional resources such as online forums, technical support, or other experts in the field. It's important to continue seeking assistance until the issue is resolved.