Troubleshooting Internet Connection for Multiple Devices | Linksys Switch Setup

In summary, the person currently has two computers connected to the internet through a Linksys 5-port workgroup switch. They recently bought a new laptop with windows xp and are having trouble connecting to the internet. They have tried various solutions, such as resetting the TCP/IP stack and checking DHCP settings, but have been unsuccessful. They later discovered that rebooting the cable modem solved the issue.
NeoDevin
I currently have 2 computers (laptop running ubuntu, desktop running vista) connected to the internet, through a "Linksys 5-port workgroup switch", which my cable modem is also plugged into (my internet gives me 2 IP's, so I don't need an additional router). This arrangement works perfectly, no problems on either system.

I just bought a new laptop with xp (Not state of the art), and am having trouble connecting with it. I unplugged the desktop and plugged that cable into the new laptop, and get the "Little or no connectivity" message. I try "ipconfig -release" "ipconfig -renew", after the renew command it says: "unable to contact your DHCP server."

I tried googling it, and found a couple of proposed solutions that didn't work for me:
Resetting the TCP/IP stack with "netsh int ip reset"
Checking to ensure DHCP is enabled in "Administrative tools"->"Services"

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I know it's not the internet connection, the switch, or any of the cables, since it works perfectly when plugged into the desktop (and I am posting this from my old laptop).

Thanks in advance.

Edit: The newer laptop has XP Service Pack 2, I'm installing SP3 right now to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Never mind. I rebooted the cable modem and it worked.

I would first suggest checking the network settings on the new laptop to ensure that it is set up correctly for your network. This includes checking the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway settings. It is possible that the laptop is not receiving a valid IP address from the DHCP server, which could be causing the issue.

If the network settings are correct, I would suggest checking the network adapter on the new laptop to make sure it is functioning properly. This can be done by running a diagnostic test or checking for any driver updates.

It is also possible that there could be an issue with the DHCP server itself. I would recommend contacting your internet service provider to see if they can assist with troubleshooting the DHCP server.

Another potential solution could be to try manually assigning an IP address to the new laptop instead of relying on DHCP. This can be done by going into the network settings and selecting "Use the following IP address" and entering in a valid IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway.

Overall, it is important to systematically troubleshoot the issue by checking each component of the network and ruling out any potential problems. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek assistance from a professional IT technician.

1. How do I troubleshoot a slow internet connection?

There are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot a slow internet connection. First, check your internet speed using a speed test website. If your speed is significantly lower than what you are paying for, contact your internet service provider. If your speed is normal, try restarting your modem and router, clearing your browser's cache, and connecting to the internet using an Ethernet cable instead of WiFi.

2. What should I do if I can't connect to the internet at all?

If you are unable to connect to the internet at all, check to make sure your modem and router are properly connected and turned on. If they are, try restarting them. If that doesn't work, check for any outage or maintenance notifications from your internet service provider. If there are none, contact your provider for further assistance.

3. How can I improve my WiFi signal?

To improve your WiFi signal, try moving your router to a central location in your home, away from any large objects or walls that may interfere with the signal. You can also try changing the WiFi channel on your router to avoid interference from other nearby networks. Another option is to use a WiFi extender or booster to increase the coverage area of your network.

4. Why does my internet connection keep dropping?

There are a few possible reasons why your internet connection may keep dropping. It could be due to a problem with your modem or router, an issue with your internet service provider, or interference from other electronic devices. Try restarting your modem and router, and if the problem persists, contact your provider for further assistance.

5. What should I do if I forget my WiFi password?

If you forget your WiFi password, you can usually find it on the back or bottom of your router. If it's not there, you can reset your router to its factory settings, which will also reset the password to the default. However, this will also reset any custom settings you have on your router, so you may need to reconfigure them after resetting. Alternatively, you can contact your internet service provider for assistance in retrieving or resetting your WiFi password.