Troubleshooting Pulling Force on a 20.0kg Sled

In summary, the problem involves a 20.0kg sled being pulled at a constant velocity across a horizontal surface with a pulling force of 80.0 N at an angle of 30°. The coefficient of kinetic friction is determined to be .4441, with the error in the previous calculation being mixing the vertical and horizontal components of the pulling force.
l2udolph
A 20.0kg sled is being pulled across a horizontal surface at a constant velocity...

Hi. This is a problem on my physics homework that I can't seem to get the (correct) answer to. I would love to be told what I'm doing wrong. (:

This is a problem and what I did:

A 20.0kg sled is being pulled across a horizontal surface at a constant velocity. The pulling force has a magnitude of 80.0 N and is directed at an angle of 30° above the horizontal. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction.

m(sled) = 20kg
F(gravity) = 20kg * 9.8 m/s2 = 196 N

F(pull) = 80 N
F(pull,X) = 80sin30° = 40 N
F(pull,Y) = 80cos30° = 69.28 N

F(normal) = 196 N - 69.28 N = 126.72 N

Kinetic Friction = μ * F(normal)

μ = 40 N / 126.72 N = .3157

I looked in the back in the book, and apparently the correct answer is .444. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Nevermind, I figured out what I did incorrectly.
Lol, I mixed the vertical and horizontal components of the F(pull) by accident.

m(sled) = 20kg
F(gravity) = 20kg * 9.8 m/s2 = 196 N

F(pull) = 80 N
F(pull,Y) = 80sin30° = 40 N
F(pull,X) = 80cos30° = 69.28 N

F(normal) = 196 N - 40 N = 156 N

Kinetic Friction = μ * F(normal)

μ = 69.28 N / 156 N = .4441

Last edited:

What is the purpose of troubleshooting pulling force on a 20.0kg sled?

The purpose of troubleshooting pulling force on a 20.0kg sled is to identify and solve any issues or problems that may be causing the sled to not move or to move with difficulty.

How do you measure pulling force on a 20.0kg sled?

Pulling force on a 20.0kg sled can be measured using a force meter or scale. The sled should be attached to the force meter and pulled in the desired direction to measure the force exerted on it.

What factors can affect the pulling force on a 20.0kg sled?

There are several factors that can affect the pulling force on a 20.0kg sled, including the weight of the sled, the surface it is being pulled on, the angle of the pull, and any friction or resistance present.

How can you troubleshoot a low pulling force on a 20.0kg sled?

To troubleshoot a low pulling force on a 20.0kg sled, you can check for any obstructions or obstacles in the path of the sled, adjust the angle of the pull, and reduce any friction or resistance by lubricating the sled or surface it is being pulled on.

What should you do if the pulling force on a 20.0kg sled is too high?

If the pulling force on a 20.0kg sled is too high, you can try reducing the weight of the sled, using a smoother surface, and adjusting the angle of the pull to make it easier to move.