Trusting Physics channels on YouTube

In summary, when it comes to trusting information from popular physics channels like Vsauce or MinutePhysics, it is generally safe to do so, but it is always wise to double check the information from other sources as well. Channels like Fraser Cain and PBS Space Time are also reliable, but it is important to keep in mind that Youtube videos should not be used as sources for citations. The saying "trust but verify" applies in this situation, as while these channels provide high quality and interesting material, they may not be infallible and may overlook certain details due to time constraints. It is recommended to use these channels as a starting point and seek out other sources for a more thorough understanding.
Abphysics
Should I trust what people say like Vsauce or MinutePhysics about content or should I double check the information always?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those are two of the more well known physics channels on youtube. I'd say generally you can trust them, but certainly I wouldn't use them as a source or for citation.

Fraser Cain and PBS Space Time is pretty good. Youtube videos are almost never a good source for citations unless it's a University lecture.

Likes Wormwood
Flatland said:
Fraser Cain and PBS Space Time is pretty good. Youtube videos are almost never a good source for citations unless it's a University lecture.
PBS Space Time is Phenomenal

There's a saying in my industry: trust but verify.

Both of those channels tend to put out high quality, thought-provoking and generally interesting material, from what I've seen. But I wouldn't assume they're infallible.

One immediate issue that comes to mind is the problem of condensing a broad topic into a one-to-five minute video. It doesn't matter how good you are, in order to do this, you need to skip over some details somewhere.

So as with learning just about anything, it's reasonable to use these channels as a springboard. If you're really interested in something that they cover, seek out other sources. In an academic sense you want to seek out sources that are peer reviewed, although, such sources are often less accessible as they are written for other researchers. But that's the gold standard.

Likes newbz

What is the purpose of "Trusting Physics" channels on YouTube?

The purpose of "Trusting Physics" channels on YouTube is to provide educational content on various topics related to physics. These channels strive to make complex concepts more accessible and understandable for their audience.

Why should I trust the information presented on these channels?

The creators of these channels are typically experts in the field of physics, with advanced degrees and years of experience. They also often cite their sources and provide evidence to support their claims, making their content reliable and trustworthy.

Are these channels suitable for all levels of understanding?

Yes, many "Trusting Physics" channels cater to a wide range of audiences, from beginners to advanced learners. They often have videos specifically tailored to different levels of understanding, making it easier for viewers to find content that is appropriate for them.

Do these channels cover a variety of topics in physics?

Yes, these channels cover a wide range of topics in physics, including classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and more. Some channels may specialize in certain areas, but overall, they provide a diverse range of content for viewers.

How can I ensure that the information presented on these channels is accurate?

While it is always important to critically evaluate information from any source, "Trusting Physics" channels on YouTube often have a strong community of viewers who engage in discussions and provide feedback. Additionally, many channels have a team of experts who fact-check their content before it is published, ensuring its accuracy.