Truth Table Rules of Inference

And isn't that a pretty good start on the problem?In summary, the given problem asks to use the rules of inference to prove the equivalence of (¬p ^ q) ^ (r → p) ^ (¬r → s) ^ (s → t) ) and t. The rules of inference used are p ⇒ p ∨ q (addition), p ∧ q ⇒ p (simplification), p ∧ (p → q) ⇒ q (modus ponens), ¬q ∧ (p → q) ⇒ ¬p (modus tollens), (p ∨ q) ∧ ¬p ⇒ q (disjunctive syllogism), and (p → q) ∧ (q → r)
Siann122

Homework Statement

Use the rules of inference to prove the following:
(¬p ^ q) ^ (r → p) ^ (¬r → s) ^ (s → t) ) ⇔ t.

Homework Equations

Rules of Inference I guess.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I don't know where to start using the rules of inference. I drew a truth table and proved it was a tautology that way, but I can't see where to use the rules because it's such a long equation.
If I could even get the first rule to use I could probably work my way from there.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may have to post the rules of inference that your book is using. Not sure to what extent they are standardized.

Sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm a bit of a noob at mathematical logic), but if you have proved that it's a tautology, doesn't that mean that there's nothing left to prove? Don't your rules of inference say that tautologies are to be considered true?

1. p ⇒ p ∨ q addition
2. p ∧ q ⇒ p simplification
3. p ∧ (p → q) ⇒ q modus ponens
4. ¬q ∧ (p → q) ⇒ ¬p modus tollens
5. (p ∨ q) ∧ ¬p ⇒ q disjunctive syllogism
6. (p → q) ∧ (q → r) ⇒ p → r hypothetical syllogism

These are the rules that my lecture notes have written. I didn't write them because I thought they were the same for everyone XD

Fredrik said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm a bit of a noob at mathematical logic), but if you have proved that it's a tautology, doesn't that mean that there's nothing left to prove? Don't your rules of inference say that tautologies are to be considered true?

That's correct, but I didn't use rules of inference, I drew up a truth table.

Siann122 said:
That's correct, but I didn't use rules of inference, I drew up a truth table.
Yes, but if you have used a truth table to show that the statement is a tautology, doesn't that mean that it can be considered an axiom? If that's the case, then you have no use for the rules of inference.

I've been reading a little in "The foundations of mathematics" by Kenneth Kunen, which is a pretty difficult book for me, probably because I haven't taken a course like the one you seem to be taking now. He defines a proof theory with only one rule of inference, modus ponens. The simplest example of a proof from his book is to prove that ##p\land q\vdash p##, i.e. if that if we take ##p\land q## as an axiom, then ##p## is a theorem. The proof goes like this:

0. ##p\land q\to p## (tautology)
1. ##p\land q## (given)
2. ##p## (modus ponens, using 0 and 1).

Note that he doesn't have to use his one rule of inference to prove that ##p\land q\to p##, because tautologies are axioms in this theory.

Not sure if this has any relevance to your problem. I'm asking you if it's possible that it does. If it does, then you're already done.

I was under the inference that because it's a homework question they're looking for it to be done in a certain way. If I can hand it in as a truth table then that would be swell.

I don't know, something smells funny here. Your rules of inference are all(?) tautologies, so if you are allowed to use any tautology as an axiom (and use truth tables to determine which statements are tautologies), then you wouldn't need to list some of them as "rules of inference". I think you will have to dig deeper in your book to find out what's going on here.

Maybe someone who knows this better than I do will show up and help you out, but if you want to make it easier for people to reply, it could help if you post a simple example of how these rules are supposed to be used.

Here's a thought: Doesn't rule 2 tell us that the left-hand side of that equivalence implies ##\lnot p## and also ##q##? In fact, don't we get a whole bunch of results like that from rule 2?

Last edited:

Related to Truth Table Rules of Inference

1. What are the basic rules of inference in a truth table?

The basic rules of inference in a truth table include the Law of Identity, Law of Non-Contradiction, Law of Excluded Middle, Modus Ponens, and Modus Tollens.

2. How do the truth table rules of inference help in making logical deductions?

The truth table rules of inference provide a systematic way of analyzing and evaluating the logical relationships between statements. By applying these rules, we can determine the validity or invalidity of an argument and make logical deductions.

3. Can the truth table rules of inference be used to prove or disprove a statement?

Yes, the truth table rules of inference can be used to prove or disprove a statement. By constructing a logical argument and evaluating it using the truth table rules, we can determine the truth value of a statement.

4. Are there any limitations to using truth table rules of inference?

One limitation of using truth table rules of inference is that they can only be applied to statements that are either true or false. They cannot be used to evaluate statements that are ambiguous or have multiple interpretations.

5. How can I become proficient in using truth table rules of inference?

Becoming proficient in using truth table rules of inference requires practice and familiarity with the rules. It is important to understand the underlying principles and relationships between statements to effectively apply the rules. Reading examples and solving practice problems can also help improve proficiency.