Trying to determine the size of Diodes required

In summary: The lightbar is actually 10 amps (24 x 5 watt diodes) Is the 10A10 higher capacity then the 6A10? i don't know anything about Diodes. I am assuming the side with the little mark on it goes the battery side?You would connect the 10A10 diode to the side with the little mark on it, which would be the battery side.
DakotaE
Hey All, i just joined today to try and figure out what size of diodes i need for the project I am working on.

I am working on installing a new Light Bar and Flood Lamps to my Jeep to get better light at night.

This is my hope to accomplish:

Relay 1 will be used to turn the LED Light Bar and Both Side Floods on when i activate the BRIGHTS in my headlights. The power for this relay will be controlled by RELAY 2, which will allow me to control whether or not the LEDS come on when the Brights are activated (I don't want LED's on when I am driving on Freeways in cities). Relay 2 will be controlled by a switch in the cab of my vehicle.

This is where it gets tricky...

I want to have functionality to be able to turn JUST the Right Flood ON or JUST the Left Flood ON when I am doing my security checks at night, without the LED Light Bar on at the same time. Relay 2 Controls just the Left Flood, Relay 2 Controls just t he Right Flood. Those will both also have swiches in the cab to control the on/off feature. I've circled where I am sure i need the Diodes to go, just unsure what direction to install them and what size i need to install.

Attachments

• LED Wiring.png
    LED Wiring.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,189
Likes Shubham Jaydeokar
Engineering news on Phys.org
DakotaE said:
Hey All, i just joined today to try and figure out what size of diodes i need for the project I am working on.

I am working on installing a new Light Bar and Flood Lamps to my Jeep to get better light at night.

This is my hope to accomplish:

Relay 1 will be used to turn the LED Light Bar and Both Side Floods on when i activate the BRIGHTS in my headlights. The power for this relay will be controlled by RELAY 2, which will allow me to control whether or not the LEDS come on when the Brights are activated (I don't want LED's on when I am driving on Freeways in cities). Relay 2 will be controlled by a switch in the cab of my vehicle.

This is where it gets tricky...

I want to have functionality to be able to turn JUST the Right Flood ON or JUST the Left Flood ON when I am doing my security checks at night, without the LED Light Bar on at the same time. Relay 2 Controls just the Left Flood, Relay 2 Controls just t he Right Flood. Those will both also have swiches in the cab to control the on/off feature. I've circled where I am sure i need the Diodes to go, just unsure what direction to install them and what size i need to install.
Welcome @DakotaE to Physics Forums!

I would help you to choose such a diode which will work perfectly in those circled regions.

For High Current like a 6Amp supply of 12 Volt. You need to consider such a diode whose Reverse current is minimum and high operating temperature handling capabilities (Because at 6A, things would get hot enough). So Its better to choose such a diode which would work in all the conditions (specifically for your application).

I would suggest one of the following diodes to be connected:-
1) 6A10 (MIC)
----
Mounting Style: Through Hole
Package / Case: R-6
Vr - Reverse Voltage: 1 kV
If - Forward Current: 6 A
Type: Standard Recovery Rectifiers
Configuration: Single
Vf - Forward Voltage: 900 mV
Max Surge Current: 400 A
Ir - Reverse Current: 10 uA
Series: 6A10
Packaging: Reel
Height: 9.1 mm
Length: 9.1 mm
Maximum Operating Temperature: + 175 C
Minimum Operating Temperature: - 65 C
Operating Temperature Range: - 65 C to + 175 C
Termination Style: Through Hole
Width: 9.1 mm
Unit Weight: 0.074075 oz

2) 10A10 (MIC)
----
Part No: 10A10
Repetitive Peak Reverse Voltage(VRRM): 1000V
RMS Reverese Voltage: 700V
FWD Voltage(VF): 1V@10A
AVG Rectified Output Current: 10A @ 50C
Peak Reverse Current(IRM): 10uA @25C and 100uA @ 100C
Typical Junction Capacitance: 80pF
Typical Thermal Resistance Junction To Ambient: 10C/W

The above two listed diodes are best suited for your application.

Choose anyone of them, buy them at
"http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pack-6A10-Diodes-6-amp-1000-volt-Quick-and-free-shipping-from-USA-/132114125153"

or

"http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-10A10...1fa9921&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=132114125153".

Connect them in a Positive biased configuration, this would make it possible to switch the lights at any desired time.

I just looked at my notes, and the lightbar is actually 10 amps (24 x 5 watt diodes) Is the 10A10 higher capacity then the 6A10? i don't know anything about Diodes. I am assuming the side with the little mark on it goes the battery side? what side of the diode would i hook to the LED Flood Lamp To?

Having a little trouble understanding what you want. A truth table would be nice. Chances are if you do your relays right all you need is a couple of small signal diodes that are able to handle relay coil current. Not full load current.

Averagesupernova, what I am trying to accomplish is isolating the flood lamps from backwards voltage so i can either run both floods and the lightbar at the same time using one switch, or i could use one of the floods without the other flood and the lightbar from illuminating using a separate switch. I need to install diodes where i have circles on the diagram. I need to know how big of a diode to install to keep the voltage going only one way from the Lightbar feed. I hope that clarifies what I am wanting to do.

The lightbar is 10 amps and each flood lamp is 1.5 amp

I wouldn't wire it that way. One relay per light or set of lights. Why be tying them together after the relay where you have to deal with full load current? Do the diode work on the wires that feed individual relay coils and deal with much lower currents.

OK - in your desired scheme: R1 + R2 = All lights on, R3 = Just the Left, and R4 = Just the right.

In the way you have it The Blocking diodes ONLY need to carry the current of the side lights when R1+R2 are on. ( individually 1.5 A)

Connect them like THIS - the banded end of the physical diode, is the "bar" end in the symbol. (The diode will NOT carry any current needed by the main light bar , so they do not need a > 10A rating)

So you want 2 diodes, rated > 1.5 A and > ~20 V.. THESE 100V. 6A diodes will work. Radio Shack does not have them on line, but I'll bet a few calls to the local stores you can fins one package.

As Averagesupernova pointed out you can you can also do this with the relays, and use a smaller diode, I probably still would not go below 1 A - Example - Clearly RadioShack can not count,,,,I will miss having SOME source of components immediately available.

1. How do I determine the size of diodes required for my project?

To determine the size of diodes required for your project, you will need to consider the maximum current and voltage ratings of the circuit, as well as the power dissipation of the diode. You can use these values to calculate the required diode size using the manufacturer's datasheet or an online calculator.

2. What is the importance of diode size in a circuit?

The size of a diode is important in a circuit as it determines the maximum current and voltage that the diode can handle without overheating or failing. Choosing the correct size of diode ensures the reliability and longevity of the circuit.

3. How does the type of diode affect its size?

The type of diode can affect its size as different diodes have different characteristics and are designed for specific applications. For example, a high power diode may be larger in size compared to a low power diode due to its ability to handle higher currents and voltages.

4. Can I use a smaller diode than the calculated size for my circuit?

No, it is not recommended to use a smaller diode than the calculated size for your circuit. This can lead to overheating and failure of the diode, as it may not be able to handle the required current and voltage. It is always best to use a diode with a larger size margin to ensure the safety and reliability of the circuit.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when determining the size of diodes?

Yes, apart from the maximum current, voltage, and power dissipation, other factors to consider when determining the size of diodes include the operating temperature, switching frequency, and any additional requirements of the circuit, such as reverse recovery time and switching speed.