Trying to explain to the doctor

In summary: I have a strong suspicion that this is a cardiac event and that you need a Holter monitor (24 hr. EKG) to capture the event. Do you have any heart disease in your family history?In summary, Wolram is experiencing episodes of disorientation and potential blackouts. These episodes are triggered by a physical sensation of imminent harm and can result in a sort of tunnel vision. Wolram has not sought medical help and is skeptical of doctors, but has undergone various blood tests and suspects that tiredness may be a factor. Other forum members suggest seeking medical help for further testing, including EKG, EEG, and O2 saturation tests, as well as consulting with a cardiologist and neurologist. They also recommend considering
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Okay this may sound strange but i am trying to self diagnose my (black outs),

1, have you ever felt that traveling a familiar stretch of road some thing seems wrong, the travel time seems to long?
2, Or some thing that is familiar seems wrong, like who are these people, why am i here.
3, when one gets these feelings one gets a physical sensation of imminent harm, like the feeling one gets if viewing some one having an accident, like my worst fear is getting gravel rash, i all way get a physical sensation starting from my tail bone and going through my knees accumulating with a buzz to the head.
Some times a sort of black out ensues, i do not loose consciousness, i get a sort of tunnel vision, i can hear what is going on around me, but i am to weak to do any thing.
I can postpone the (black out) if i concentrate, for a short time, but can not stop it eventually getting me.
Any help will be valueless thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Have you told the doctor these symptoms?

What kind of tests is the doctor doing Wolram? How long has it been going on?

Wolram, No self diagnosis. Doesn't sound like doctoring for beginners. Blacks out are associated with a lack of oxygen in the brains, which could have various causes like pulling nine 'gees' in an F-16. But you're not doing that. Hope that they find the diagnosis soon. Get on the back of that doctor and have him do his job.

Hang in there pal

Evo said:
Have you told the doctor these symptoms?

What kind of tests is the doctor doing Wolram? How long has it been going on?

Well i do not tell doctors any thing, i hate them, but then i know they are the only people that can help, it has been an ongoing thing on and off for some years, as for tests, blood and and more blood, all these people understand is blood.

lisab said:
This sounds a lot like a recent thread in the Medical Science forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=244410

I'm glad you're getting this checked out.

No way, i have a real strong heart, i am beginning to think tiredness is the main factor.

wolram said:
No way, i have a real strong heart, i am beginning to think tiredness is the main factor.

How does one determine that he has a "real strong heart"?

seycyrus said:
How does one determine that he has a "real strong heart"?

Well i can work till i drop, few things defeat me if i have a mind to finish it.

wolram said:
Any help will be valueless thanks.

Kind of an ironic and telling typo, wollie. As your typo implies, our help is really without value. Despite your spite of doctors and giving blood and undergoing tests, this is too important for you to not go to the doc. In addition to the blood tests, you should also get an EKG, EEG, and O2 saturation tests. Do you have a blood pressure tester? The little boxes with the cuff for your arm... It might help the doctor to know what your normal range of bloodpressure and heart rate are, compared to when you feel these episodes coming on...

wolram said:
Heart problems can give symptoms like this; the heart can stop beating for a few seconds and then continue, causing momentary loss of consciousness. The only way to pick this up is to wear a device that monitors your heartbeat for a few days.

I'd suggest going to a physician and getting a good check-up, cardiological and neurological.

I have similar "tunnel-vision" disorientation and inability to think after exposure to fragrances. I got to the ER one time when this was happening and the triage nurse admitted me immediately without asking to see ID or an insurance card. I must have looked like walking death. My BP was 185 over 90 IIR. Apparently I was going into shock and my body was shutting down blood flow to the extremities - my hands and feet were blue and cold. One of the ER nurses knew me and my wife and arranged to call her work and get her to the ER. They ran me through every test they could think of, because the ER doctor was quite skeptical that exposure to cologne/after-shave etc could do that to a person. I was there all day, and they wanted to hold me for observation, but they could not guarantee that no orderly or nurse would come in my room wearing fragrances, so my wife took me home.

I'm not suggesting that you have anything like this, Woolie, just pointing out that doctors only do the tests that they have some experience and trust in, and can discount the patient's account of what's happening. You might want to think back, and try to recall if there might have been a trigger in common to some of these. Like, were you using solvents to de-grease parts, were you using strong cleaners, or something volatile that you could have breathed in? Doctors may or may not be able to help you, but they are the only ones with a fighting chance at it. Get medical help and good luck.

Oh Wolly, we could guess a thousand things and not one of us would be right. Let the people who are trained, eliminate the possible. This would at least lower our guessing field, to maybe 100 other options.

I concur with Monique. If the blood tests aren't turning up anything metabolic, then it's time to involve both a cardiologist and neurologist in the consults.

1. How can I effectively communicate my symptoms to my doctor?

It is important to be specific and detailed when explaining your symptoms to your doctor. Start by writing down your symptoms beforehand and including relevant information such as when they started, how often they occur, and any triggers or patterns you have noticed. Be honest and open with your doctor and don't be afraid to ask questions or clarify any information.

2. Why is it important to communicate with my doctor?

Communication with your doctor is crucial in order to receive an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment. Your doctor needs to understand your symptoms, medical history, and any concerns or questions you may have in order to provide the best care for you. Good communication also allows for a stronger doctor-patient relationship, which can improve overall healthcare outcomes.

3. What should I do if my doctor doesn't seem to understand me?

If you feel like your doctor is not understanding your symptoms or concerns, don't be afraid to speak up and ask for clarification or to explain further. You can also consider seeking a second opinion from another doctor if you feel like your concerns are not being addressed effectively. It is important to feel heard and understood by your healthcare provider.

4. How can I prepare for a doctor's appointment?

To prepare for a doctor's appointment, write down any symptoms or concerns you have beforehand. Include information about when your symptoms started, how often they occur, and any patterns or triggers you have noticed. Also, bring a list of your current medications and any relevant medical history. This will help your doctor accurately assess your condition and provide the best care for you.

5. Is it okay to ask my doctor questions about my diagnosis or treatment plan?

Absolutely! It is important to fully understand your diagnosis and treatment plan in order to make informed decisions about your health. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions about your condition, treatment options, and any potential side effects or risks. Your doctor is there to help you and should be willing to address any concerns or questions you may have.