Trying to find a job w/ math degree.

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Job
In summary, the speaker is soon to graduate with a BA in math and has two plans for finding a job - trying for actuarial science or going into a different field. However, their state of Oklahoma does not have many opportunities in actuarial science, so they are considering pursuing a career in applied math, specifically in statistics. They have already researched and found a few companies to send their resume to, including OGE electric company, American Fidelity, Riskmetrics, DEQ, and OPM. They are also open to other companies and job opportunities in data analysis and risk analysis, not limiting themselves to just the insurance world. They are seeking recommendations and suggestions for other places to look for a job with a math degree.
semidevil
So I am soon to graduate soon w/ a BA in math. I have 2 plans in terms of finding jobs:

1) try for acturial science

2) go into a different field.

My state ok oklahoma, doesn't have much of an actuarial oppurtunity, so I want to see what I can do in a different field. And, for personal reasons, I think I will need to stay in oklahoma for atleast a couple years before I can relocate to another bigger state.

What I want to focus on, is to go into applied math, specifically, statistics. I have found that I enjoy clac, stat, and probablitity classes the most, and would like to do this kind of job.

I did do some research, and found a few places to send my resume to:

OGE electric company
American Fidelity
Riskmetrics
DEQ
OPM

etc etc...

ofcourse, a few of those, my career services found them for me, and she reccomend me to try those...

Are there any other places that you guys can think of that can help me find a job? I really want to go into like data analysis, risk analysis field, but I don't want to limit myself to just the insurance world(acturial science).

Any types of other companies I can look into?

I mean, what type of jobs do you all reccomend?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to find a job with a math degree.
finding a job which requires the applicant to have a math degree on the other hand should be a piece of cake.

tribdog said:
It's hard to find a job with a math degree.
finding a job which requires the applicant to have a math degree on the other hand should be a piece of cake.

Good one, as always :biggrin:

Related to Trying to find a job w/ math degree.

1. What types of jobs can I get with a math degree?

A math degree can open up a wide range of job opportunities, including roles in finance, data analysis, statistics, actuarial science, and teaching. Additionally, many industries such as technology, healthcare, and engineering also rely on individuals with strong math skills, making the job options even more diverse.

2. Is a math degree in demand in today's job market?

Yes, a math degree is in high demand in today's job market. With the increasing use of data and technology in various industries, there is a growing need for individuals with strong math skills to analyze and interpret data. Many companies also value the problem-solving and critical thinking skills that come with a math degree.

3. What skills do I need to have to be successful in a math-related job?

In addition to strong mathematical skills, successful individuals in math-related jobs also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It is also important to have a solid understanding of computer software and programming languages commonly used in data analysis and other math-related fields.

4. How can I make my math degree stand out to potential employers?

There are several ways to make your math degree stand out to potential employers. Consider gaining practical experience through internships or research projects. Additionally, obtaining certifications or specialized training in a specific area of math can make you more marketable. Lastly, emphasize your problem-solving and critical thinking skills on your resume and during interviews.

5. Are there any additional qualifications or degrees that can complement a math degree?

Yes, there are several additional qualifications or degrees that can complement a math degree, depending on your career goals. For example, if you are interested in finance or business, a minor or second major in economics or business administration can be beneficial. For data analysis roles, a degree in computer science or statistics can be helpful. Additionally, obtaining a graduate degree in a specialized area of math can also make you more competitive in the job market.