Trying to find instantaneous velocity at a point

In summary: Also, the notation used in your original post is not the best. I would write the difference quotient as ##\frac{\Delta s}{\Delta t}##. H is usually used to denote the height of an object, so using it as a variable is not a good idea. In the same way, s usually denotes the arc length, so using it as a function name is also not good. You are not doing anything wrong - you are following the notation used in the problem. But the problem's notation is not good.
mileena

Homework Statement

Given the function s(t) = -16t2 + 100t which represents the velocity of an object in meters, what is the instantaneous velocity at t = 3 seconds?

Homework Equations

I think these are correct:

Average velocity equals the slope of the secant line connecting any two points on the graph if there is acceleration is not 0 (i.e., the graph is curved or exponential). (If acceleration is 0, so that the graph of the position vs. time graph is linear, just take the slope of the line.)

Instantaneous velocity equals the slope of the line tangent to a point on the graph

Instantaneous velocity also equals:

lim f(a)
x→a

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the slope for secant lines connecting the following pairs of time points:

2, 3
2.9, 3
2.99, 3
2.999, 3
2.9999, 3

The respective slopes went from:

So I am postulating the limit at 3 is 4. So instantaneous velocity at 3 seconds is 4 m/s.

However, if I do:

lim (-16t2 + 100t)
x→3

I get 156. So the instantaneous velocity at 3 seconds is 156 m/s.

What am I doing wrong? Is the instantaneous velocity at 3 seconds 4 m/s or 156 m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
mileena said:

Homework Statement

Given the function s(t) = -16t2 + 100t which represents the velocity of an object in meters, what is the instantaneous velocity at t = 3 seconds?

Homework Equations

I think these are correct:

Average velocity equals the slope of the secant line connecting any two points on the graph if there is acceleration is not 0 (i.e., the graph is curved or exponential). (If acceleration is 0, so that the graph of the position vs. time graph is linear, just take the slope of the line.)

Instantaneous velocity equals the slope of the line tangent to a point on the graph

Instantaneous velocity also equals:

lim f(a)
x→a
No, this isn't right for a couple of reasons.
1. ##\lim_{x \to a}f(a) = f(a)##
f(a) is a constant, so its limit is just itself.
2. Instantaneous velocity at t = a is this:
$$\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{s(a + h) - s(a)}{h}$$
In other words, this is the limit of the slopes of the secant lines as the points that define the ends of the secant lines grow closer together. This is the same as what you're doing below.
mileena said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the slope for secant lines connecting the following pairs of time points:

2, 3
2.9, 3
2.99, 3
2.999, 3
2.9999, 3

The respective slopes went from:

So I am postulating the limit at 3 is 4. So instantaneous velocity at 3 seconds is 4 m/s.

However, if I do:

lim -16t2 + 100t
x→3

I get 156. So the instantaneous velocity at 3 seconds is 156 m/s.

What am I doing wrong? Is the instantaneous velocity at 3 seconds 4 m/s or 156 m/s?

-16t2 + 100t is NOT the velocity, so evaluating it at t = 3 will not give you the instantaneous velocity at that time. You need to use the difference quotient that I wrote above.

Thanks for replying Mark44!

So, if I just have one time value, I can't calculate the instantaneous velocity? I have to have two time values (a and h)??

You have the formula for the position, s(t). To get the instantaneous velocity at t = 3, you need to take the limit.
$$v(3) = s'(3) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{s(3 + h) - s(3)}{h}$$

Expand the s(3 + h) term and the s(3) term using the function formula, and combine them.
Divide by h.
Take the limit as h → 0.

That will give you the instantaneous velocity at time t = 3.

Ok, thanks again.

I am really sorry for asking this, but am I supposed to replace h above in the formulas with the function formula in order to expand s(3 + h) and s(3):

-16t2 + 100t ?

And what is h?

I know the above sounds like I don't know what I am doing, which is true.

Maybe I should stick to just getting repeated slopes of secant lines to find the limit.

You have s(t) = -16t2 + 100t. Do you know how to work with function notation?

s(3) = -16(3)2 + 100(3)

So s(3 + h) would be what?

Don't worry about h - it represents a number reasonably close to zero.

Oh duh, now that you put it that way, I can do it. I just got confused with the terminology!

So:

s(3 + h) =

-16(3 + h)2 + 100(3 + h) =

-16(9 + 6h + h2) + 300 + 100h =

144 -96h - 16h2 + 300 + 100h =

-16h2 + 4h + 444

and

s(3) =

-16(3)2 + 100(3) =

144 + 300 =

444so

s[(3 + h) - s(3)]/h =

(-16h2 + 4h + 444 - 444)/h =

(-16h2 + 4h)/h

so

lim s[(3 + h) - s(3)]/h = +∞ m/s
h→0

But that answer does not agree with my earlier answer of 4 m/s

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to factor above:

(-16h2 + 4h)/h =

[-4h(4h - 1)]/h =

-4(4h - 1) =

4 m/s

Ok, now the answers agree!

Thank you!

So I know now instantaneous velocity at a point p is the lim as h→0 of the difference quotient!

The other way is to use the nax^(n-1) formula to find the derivative of s. But I take it you were not allowed to use that in this question. Usually when the question wants you to use the difference quotient, it'll say something like "find the instantaneous velocity from first principles".

What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific point in time. It is the rate of change of an object's position at that exact moment.

How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a single point, whereas average velocity is the average velocity over a certain period of time. Average velocity takes into account the entire path traveled, while instantaneous velocity focuses on the object's velocity at a specific moment.

What is the formula for finding instantaneous velocity?

The formula for finding instantaneous velocity is v = lim Δt → 0 Δx/Δt, where v is the instantaneous velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

What is the significance of finding instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is important in understanding the motion of an object at any given point. It can help determine the object's speed, direction of motion, and acceleration at that specific moment.

How can instantaneous velocity be measured or calculated?

Instantaneous velocity can be measured using various methods such as using a speedometer, radar gun, or motion sensors. It can also be calculated using the formula mentioned above, by taking the derivative of the object's position function.