Trying to prove God exists lack physics background thothoughts appreciated

• Thread starter powersgood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a new member of the forum has been exploring logical arguments for the existence of God, specifically one that involves astrophysics concepts. They are seeking feedback on the argument and its premises from those with a background in astrophysics. The argument suggests that the transition from the pre-big bang universe to the post-big bang universe was governed by laws outside of the universe, indicating the existence of a supernatural creating force. The member is unsure if this argument is valid and is seeking clarification on the concept of "outside the universe." They also question if the change in universal constants between the two forms of the universe is possible and if it would contradict the idea of established and unchanging natural laws. Overall, they are seeking a physicist's opinion
powersgood
Hi,

I'm new here..

For fun (recently) I've been trying to make logical arguments to prove the existence of God.

lol yes i know... its probably not possible.

Anyway i came up with this one that involves astrophysics concepts... but I'm not sure whether they're valid (from a physics perspective) ... from a logical perspective the premises are valid, but I'm trying to determine if they're sound or not.

So if someone of you astrophysics buffs could comment on this argument and point out any glaring flaws (related to physics) i'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm mostl concerned about the premises related to universal constants and the required change of such constants (premises 12 and and beyond)... anyway here it is:

1. If one form of the universe is different from another form of the universe, then those forms have different physical behaviors and are thus governed by different laws
2. No pre-big bang forms of the universe are things that are ever expanding.
3. All post-big bang forms of the universe are things that are ever expanding.
4. So, the pre-big bang form of the universe and the post-big bang form of the universe are different.
5. If the pre-big bang form of the universe is different than the post-big bang form of the universe, then it is a thing with different natural laws than those of the post-big bang form of the universe.
6. So, the pre-big bang form of the universe is a thing with different natural laws than those of the post-big bang form of the universe.
7. All self-directed processes are things governed by natural laws.
8. [Assume] The transition between the pre-big bang universe to the post-big bang universe was a self-directed process.
9. If #8, then the transition was governed by the natural laws of the pre-big bang universe.
10. So, the transition between the pre-big bang form of universe to the post-big bang form of universe was governed by the natural laws of the of universe.
11. If #6 and #10, then the natural laws of the pre-big bang universe governed their own change.
12. So, the natural laws of the pre big-bang form of universe governed their own change.
13. Natural laws are established and unchanging because they are defined by universal physical constants.
14. If the laws of the pre-big bang universe governed their own change, then the laws are permanently changeable.
15. If the laws are permanently changeable, then they are not defined by universal physical constants.
16. Laws that are not defined by universal physical constants (and thus not unchanging) are totally variable
17. If the laws are totally variable, then they cannot govern processes in an orderly fashion.
18. If the laws were incapable of governing processes in an orderly fashion, then a universe governed by such laws would be in a state of chaos.
19. But the post-big bang universe is not in a state of chaos; it is governed by unchanging natural laws defined by universal constants.
20. If the laws of the universe are unchanging and defined by universal constants, then these laws cannot govern their own permanent changes.
21. The laws of the universe are unchanging and defined by universal constants.
22. Thus the laws could not govern their own permanent changes.
22. If the natural laws cannot govern their own changes, then these laws could not govern a pre-big bang to post-big bang transition.
23. So, if there was a transition between the pre-big-bang universe to the post-big bang universe, it would require something that could change the universal constants.
24. Since the natural laws of the universe cannot change their own constants, then this transition was governed by laws/forces outside the universe.
25. The transition between the pre-big bang universe to the post-big bang universe was governed by laws outside the universe.
26. So, the conversion to the post-big bang universe is not a self-directed process.
27. If the universe is not self-directed, then it cannot be self-sustaining.
28. If the universe is not self-sustaining, then it cannot always exist.
29. So, the universe cannot always exist.
30. If #28, then the universe was created by outside forces.
31. So, the universe was created by outside forces.
32. If something can create the universe, the natural laws within in, and govern/manipulate the universe, then that thing is a supernatural creating force.
33. So, the universe was created by a super-natural force.

Oh and if you do comment...i'd also like it if you could state what your physics background is if you don't mind... thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This sort of post is not suited to the technical forums, if at all on PF.

Still, I'd like to know what you mean by 'outside the universe' since, to me, this is not defined.

cristo said:
This sort of post is not suited to the technical forums, if at all on PF.

Still, I'd like to know what you mean by 'outside the universe' since, to me, this is not defined.

outside the universe just means something not bound to space/time/energy/matter/natural laws, something that can change the universal constants,... ie something not bound to the universe, something that is perhaps in a realm of its own.

I guess i posted it mostly because I'm not sure if i can make the claim that universal constants cannot change (effectively) otherwise there would be no constants at all(they would be variables) and thus there would be no established laws. Such a change in constants would be necessary for a pre-big bang to post big bang transition. This would seem to require laws which are defined by "constants" that could change into new constants. Meaning that they weren't constants in the first place, and thus the laws were variables/chaotic laws incapable of governing any sort of meaningful process. This is contradictory to our universe which IS governed by established laws and universal contsants. I'm not sure if this is a reasonable argument or if there is actually a physics explanation that can account fpr this change in constants between pre and post big bang. Kind wanted to get a physicists opinion on it.

I don't have a physics background. But I went to a Catholic college and took a little theology and I'm familiar with a few of the classic proofs of the existence of God.

I would say that your proof is tending towards the general form "Only God could do X, and X was done, ergo God must exist." So just make sure that X is really something that there's reason to believe that only God could actually do.

I see many weaknesses in that proof but it seems pretty creative to me. So I would say A for effort if nothing else!

powersgood said:
1. If one form of the universe is different from another form of the universe, then those forms have different physical behaviors and are thus governed by different laws
...or not. Not everything is affected by the same influences in the same way under all conditions. Magnets work on metal, not on wood. A single set of natural laws in a pre-BB state might inevitably lead to the BB in question and continue to work unchanged after it, but on a dramatically transformed state of the universe. You can't know for sure without re-creating pre-BB conditions to see what happens. Your starting premise is unproven so you cannot reach any conclusion on that basis.

You'll always arive at the conclusion that there is a creating force, which you will choose to call "God" because you will never find the absolute beginning of everything. We don't know what happened before the "big bang" so we'll say "God" created the big bang, but suppose we do find out what preceded a "big bang", we'll say that "God" created that environment, and so on, and it will never tell us anything interesting about that god. His or her motives are not self evident. It's not even evident that there is a motive or any tinge of intent whatsoever.

This doesn't meet posting criteria for the forum.

1. Can science prove or disprove the existence of God?

Science is based on observable, measurable evidence and therefore cannot provide definitive proof of the existence of a higher being. However, many scientists believe that the presence of order and complexity in the universe suggests the existence of a creator.

2. How can we use physics to explore the concept of God?

Physics can help us understand the fundamental principles that govern the universe and its origins, which can shed light on the existence of a higher power. However, the concept of God is a matter of faith and cannot be fully explained or understood by scientific means.

3. Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of God?

While science cannot prove the existence of God, there are some arguments based on scientific principles that support the idea of a creator. For example, the fine-tuning of the universe and the complexity of life on Earth are often cited as evidence for an intelligent designer.

4. Can we use physics to understand the nature of God?

Physics can provide insights into the physical laws and mechanisms that govern the universe, but it cannot fully explain the nature of a divine being. The concept of God goes beyond the realm of science and is often a matter of personal belief and interpretation.

5. How can we reconcile faith and science when it comes to the existence of God?

Faith and science are often seen as conflicting, but they can coexist and complement each other. Many scientists have strong religious beliefs, and some argue that science and religion can provide different perspectives on the same questions. Ultimately, the existence of God is a complex and personal concept that may not be fully understood by either faith or science alone.