What if we weren't the only Big Bang

• B
  • Thread starter clockwork_fox12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the big bang and raises the question of whether there could have been multiple big bangs in our universe, leading to the possibility of a cyclic universe. However, the Big Bang model suggests that spacetime and the quantum fields of the Standard Model existed before the big bang, and the big bang itself was not responsible for creating matter or the flow of time and laws of physics. The conversation also touches on the idea that discussions should be limited to current mainstream science.
clockwork_fox12
What if we weren't the only big bang that happened in our universe? I don't know much about quantum physics and I won't claim to be anything more than someone who enjoys making queries. However, when I think about the big bang, being the explosion that brought us into existence, I can't help but wonder. The riddle, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?", comes to mind when I think of the big bang. I wonder which came first, the fabric of the universe or the very matter that inhabits it, or both? I wouldn't think that matter would've existed before space and time, but was the big bang responsible for only creating matter or was it also the beginning of the temporal flow of time and the creation of the spatial laws that we know today?

Let's say that the big bang was only responsible for matter coming into existence, and that time and space already existed. So what if a different big bang had happened at a different point of time or space than our own? Could there be multiple groups of matter that came to be and continue to exist outside the walls of our documented observable universe? Would the matter created by other big bangs be the same as what was forged in our own, following the same laws of physics that we know. What if it didn't, existing or behaving entirely different? What if the matter followed a different set of laws that we just don't know about that pertains to its universal properties or because it simply lies at a certain point of time and space in the universe? The very idea of multiple big bangs is very interesting to me and I hope also to you. It creates a lot of questions on how a universe such as this could exist.

Hope you found this interesting and please reply with your own interpretations of this idea or explanations of why this can or cannot be possible.

Space news on Phys.org
clockwork_fox12 said:
the big bang, being the explosion that brought us into existence

That's not what the Big Bang model actually says. Spacetime and the quantum fields of the Standard Model (which are what "we" are ultimately made of) existed before the Big Bang--that is, before the hot, dense, rapidly expanding state that is the earliest state of the universe of which we have reliable knowledge. Our best current model says that that state was preceded by an era of inflation.

clockwork_fox12 said:
was the big bang responsible for only creating matter or was it also the beginning of the temporal flow of time and the creation of the spatial laws that we know today?

Neither. See above.

You need to rethink your understanding in the light of the above. (Please also review the PF rules on personal speculations. PF discussions should be limited to current mainstream science, based on textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.)

Likes clockwork_fox12
clockwork_fox12 said:
What if we weren't the only big bang that happened in our universe?
Then we would exist in a cyclic universe.

PeterDonis said:
That's not what the Big Bang model actually says. Spacetime and the quantum fields of the Standard Model (which are what "we" are ultimately made of) existed before the Big Bang--that is, before the hot, dense, rapidly expanding state that is the earliest state of the universe of which we have reliable knowledge. Our best current model says that that state was preceded by an era of inflation.
Neither. See above.

You need to rethink your understanding in the light of the above. (Please also review the PF rules on personal speculations. PF discussions should be limited to current mainstream science, based on textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.)
PeterDonis said:
Neither. See above.

My apologies, but thanks anyway for the response, very enlightening.

1. What evidence supports the idea that there may have been multiple Big Bangs?

One piece of evidence is the observation of cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover energy from the initial expansion of the universe. The pattern of this radiation suggests that the universe underwent a rapid expansion, supporting the idea of a Big Bang. Additionally, the observed distribution of galaxies and the large-scale structure of the universe also point to a sudden and dramatic beginning.

2. How might the existence of multiple Big Bangs change our understanding of the universe?

If there were multiple Big Bangs, it would challenge the idea of a single, linear timeline for the universe. It could also provide an explanation for some of the mysteries in our universe, such as the uneven distribution of matter and the existence of dark matter. It may also shed light on the possibility of parallel universes and the concept of a multiverse.

3. Is there any scientific research or experiments being done to explore the idea of multiple Big Bangs?

Yes, there are several ongoing studies and experiments aimed at understanding the concept of multiple Big Bangs. Some scientists are looking for evidence of previous universes in the cosmic microwave background radiation, while others are conducting simulations to explore the potential consequences of multiple Big Bangs on the evolution of the universe.

4. Could multiple Big Bangs have occurred in different parts of the universe?

While the concept of multiple Big Bangs typically refers to different universes, it is possible that multiple Big Bangs could have occurred in different regions of our own universe. This theory, known as "eternal inflation," suggests that the universe is constantly expanding and creating new regions with different physical laws and properties.

5. What are the potential implications for human existence if there were multiple Big Bangs?

If there were multiple Big Bangs, it could mean that there are countless other universes with their own unique laws of physics and potential for life. This could expand our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It may also offer new insights into the origin of life and the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.