Trying to solve 3x3 determinant with two zeros

In summary: It looks like you may have made an error in your calculations somewhere. This problem can be solved using a graphing calculator, but it's strange that I was unable to solve it using cramers rule.
togo

Homework Statement

3 wires and unknown tensions: Tab, Tbc, Tbd
Flowerpot being suspended in equilibrium

Code:
Fx =  .05Tab - 0.728Tbc - 0.728Tbd = 0 lbs
Fy = -.05Tab + 0.485Tbc + 0.485Tbd = 20 lbs (weight of flower pot)
Fz =    0Tab + 0.485Tbc - 0.485Tbd = 0 lbs

Homework Equations

Is it possible to find tension in one of these wires?

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Cramers rule, came up with

Code:
-14.1232/0.117855

which was incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have made an arithmetic error somewhere. Your answer for Tab is off by a factor of 10.

I went over it again today and got the same answer :(
back of the book lists 17 lbs for Tab. Here is the determinant I used,

2n0q0i9.png

resulting in

[tex]\frac{-7.0616-7.0616}{(-0.1176125)+(0.17654)-(-0.017654)-(0.1176125)}[/tex]

= 119.83 lbs, Tab

Are the coefficients of Tab equal to 0.5 (third post) or 0.05 (original post)? That's the factor of 10 difference between our answers. So the good news is you're basically calculating Tab correctly using Cramer's rule. The bad news is, if Tab is supposed to be 17 lb, your equations are wrong.

0.5, sorry. Not sure where the equations may have gone wrong.

Just a guess, but I'd expect the coefficients of Tab should be either [itex]\pm 1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] or one of them should be [itex]\pm \sqrt{3}/{2}[/itex].

More generally, if you form a vector from the coefficients of Tab, the norm of the vector should be 1.

Last edited:
I went over the numbers with someone else in my class who also verifies that the coordinates used are correct. It sounds like this problem can be solved using a graphing calculator, but its strange that I was unable to solve it using cramers rule.

It's not strange that Cramer's rule doesn't work. What's strange is you concluding Cramer's rule only works some of the time rather than concluding your equations are wrong or that you are making some other mistake. If a proved result, like Cramer's rule, doesn't seem to be working, that's an indication that there's something else is wrong.

I can tell you that if you and your classmate got exactly the same equations, you and your classmate are wrong. If your classmate claims to have gotten the right answer from those equations, he or she is making yet another mistake.

I can read off the components of Tab from your equations. According to them, the force Tab is equal to[tex]\vec{T}_{ab} = \frac{T_{ab}}{2} \mathbf{\hat{i}} + \frac{T_{ab}}{2} \mathbf{\hat{j}}[/tex]where Tab=|Tab|. But this implies that[tex]
\lvert \vec{T}_{ab} \rvert = T_{ab} \sqrt{\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2+\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2} = T_{ab}\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \ne T_{ab}[/tex]which is a contradiction, which in turn indicates your equations are wrong.

Last edited:

Related to Trying to solve 3x3 determinant with two zeros

What is a 3x3 determinant with two zeros?

A 3x3 determinant with two zeros is a mathematical expression used to calculate the volume of a parallelepiped formed by three vectors in three-dimensional space. It contains three rows and three columns, with two of the elements being equal to zero.

Why is it important to solve a 3x3 determinant with two zeros?

Solving a 3x3 determinant with two zeros can help in solving various problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It can also help in finding the inverse of a matrix and solving systems of linear equations.

What are the steps to solve a 3x3 determinant with two zeros?

The steps to solve a 3x3 determinant with two zeros are as follows:
1. Identify the two rows or columns containing zeros.
2. Expand the determinant along those rows or columns.
3. Use the properties of determinants to simplify the expression.
4. Solve the resulting 2x2 determinant.
5. Substitute the values back into the original 3x3 determinant to get the final answer.

Can a 3x3 determinant with two zeros have more than one solution?

Yes, a 3x3 determinant with two zeros can have more than one solution. This can happen when the remaining elements are such that the determinant evaluates to zero. In this case, the two non-zero rows or columns can be interchanged to get a new solution.

Are there any shortcuts to solve a 3x3 determinant with two zeros?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can be used to solve a 3x3 determinant with two zeros. These include using the rule of Sarrus, Laplace expansion, or using the properties of determinants such as switching rows or columns or multiplying a row or column by a constant.