Tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding)

• Admissions
  • Thread starter Tone L
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funding Phd
In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of the speaker earning a PhD while working at a research institution, with the support of adjunct professors from a local university. The speaker plans to work full time and take classes part time, gradually earning their Master's degree before pursuing a PhD. The likelihood of tuition being waived if the speaker does not need funding was also discussed. It was mentioned that this depends on the institutions involved and that some companies, such as NASA, offer tuition reimbursement for continuing education. However, it was clarified that the speaker does not work for NASA and their current company does not offer enough reimbursement for their desired program.
Tone L
Hey guys. I currently work at a research institution as a junior level research scientist.
I plan to earn a PhD (I have a B.S.), at the local university. The institution works closely with the local university and I have many adjunct professors within my lab. My plan would be to apply to a PhD program at the university. I would maintain 30-40 hours a week @ work and take 1 or 2 classes a semester until I get my M.S., then start work on my PhD, slowly but surely, maybe 3 years time after I complete masters course load.

Say I apply to the PhD program, what is the likelihood I will have tuition waived if I don't need funding since I will be working quasi full time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anthony LaRosa said:
what is the likelihood I will have tuition waived if I don't need funding

These are two separate things on the books. It depends entirely on the institutions involved.

Vanadium 50 said:
These are two separate things on the books. It depends entirely on the institutions involved.
NASA and Univ. of Maryland, CP

berkeman said:
Some companies pay your tuition for continuing education. Does NASA?
I should of added I am not a federal employee (I do not work directly for NASA). My company however pays for some tuition reimbursement. Not all of it or nearly enough!

Anthony LaRosa said:
Say I apply to the PhD program, what is the likelihood I will have tuition waived if I don't need funding since I will be working quasi full time.

Someone will have to pay for your tuition. Not needing funding is irrelevant because you are using the services of the institution.

Zz.

A tuition waiver is part of the financial support you get for being a TA or RA. The university is getting something in exchange for it, namely your services as TA/RA.

Anthony LaRosa said:
I should of added I am not a federal employee (I do not work directly for NASA). My company however pays for some tuition reimbursement. Not all of it or nearly enough!

Then you don't work for NASA and it is misleading to say so.

Your company has a policy for tuition reimbursement, if it isn't enough for where you want to go, either go somewhere else or suck it up and pay the difference. Remember, many companies have a policy where you need to stay X number of years after earning a degree or you have to pay the tuition benefits back (and they do come after you, a friend of mine has to pay back $10K to a former employer and they went after him in court to get it).

1. What is a tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding)?

A tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding) is an agreement between a university and a PhD student in which the student's tuition fees are waived in exchange for the student not receiving any teaching assistantship (TA) or research funding. This allows the student to focus solely on their studies without the added responsibilities of TA or research work.

2. Who is eligible for a tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding)?

Eligibility for a tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding) varies depending on the university and program. Generally, students who have demonstrated exceptional academic performance and potential for success in their PhD studies may be considered for a tuition waiver. Additionally, international students may also be eligible for a tuition waiver in some cases.

3. How does a tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding) benefit the student?

A tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding) can greatly benefit the student by relieving them of the financial burden of paying for tuition fees. This allows the student to focus on their studies and complete their PhD without the added stress of working as a TA or conducting research. Additionally, it can also reduce the overall cost of obtaining a PhD degree.

4. Are there any requirements or conditions for maintaining a tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding)?

Yes, there may be requirements or conditions for maintaining a tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding). These may vary depending on the university and program, but could include maintaining a certain GPA, making satisfactory progress in the program, and not accepting any external funding or employment that would conflict with the terms of the tuition waiver.

5. Are there any drawbacks to accepting a tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding)?

There may be some potential drawbacks to accepting a tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding). For example, the student may not have the opportunity to gain teaching or research experience, which could be beneficial for their future career. Additionally, the student may need to find alternative sources of funding to cover their living expenses while completing their PhD.