Twin paradox explained for laymen

In summary: The Earth is irrelevant to the twin paradox. It's just a way of making one of the twins have (approximately) inertial motion throughout the experiment. It works just the same in deep space. Gravity has nothing to do with it.would there be any time dilation if the Earth was removed entirely from the thought experimentYes. In fact, that would make the experiment much “cleaner” in my opinion. In summary, the twin paradox can be resolved by considering the twins' frames of reference. If Earth is removed from the equation, then both twins have identical inertial frames of reference. However, due to gravitational time dilation, the traveler's clock runs slower than the lazy twin's clock
PeterDonis said:
See my corresponding post in the other thread in which you made an almost identical post for the details behind the above responses.
Yes. Somehow I switched to that other thread without me noticing it. I have deleted that post from there and put it here. Thanks for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
FactChecker said:
I have deleted that post from there and put it here.

I just undeleted it, since the Post #17 reference you gave is actually in that other thread, not this one. I agree that duplicate posts are normally not a good idea, but in this case I think it's reasonable to have both since similar issues have been discussed in both threads.

Likes FactChecker
FactChecker said:
So one can not use his non-inertial reference frame and SR to calculate the correct answer.
One can use a valid non inertial reference frame and SR to calculate the correct answer. But you have to derive the correct formula anew. You cannot simply use the standard formula derived for an inertial reference frame and just directly apply it in the non-inertial reference frame.

Likes FactChecker
Dale said:
One can use a valid non inertial reference frame and SR to calculate the correct answer. But you have to derive the correct formula anew. You cannot simply use the standard formula derived for an inertial reference frame and just directly apply it in the non-inertial reference frame.
When you are doing SR in a non-inertial reference frame, I wonder where you would say that SR ends and GR begins. I just think of GR as allowing non-inertial reference frames. From what you, @vanhees71, and @PeterDonis are saying, that is not right. Does it have to do with the curvature of the space?

FactChecker said:
When you are doing SR in a non-inertial reference frame, I wonder where you would say that SR ends and GR begins. I just think of GR as allowing non-inertial reference frames. From what you, @vanhees71, and @PeterDonis are saying, that is not right. Does it have to do with the curvature of the space?
Flat spacetime = SR
Curved spacetime = GR

I think there was some argument in the early days about which label to apply to non-inertial frames in flat spacetime. But ultimately there's no physics in non-inertial frames that isn't in inertial frames - just the maths is harder. There is new physics in curved spacetime. So it makes sense to draw the dividing line there.

Likes martinbn, vanhees71, Dale and 2 others
Ibix said:
Flat spacetime = SR
Curved spacetime = GR

I think there was some argument in the early days about which label to apply to non-inertial frames in flat spacetime. But ultimately there's no physics in non-inertial frames that isn't in inertial frames - just the maths is harder. There is new physics in curved spacetime. So it makes sense to draw the dividing line there.
I think that I am finally getting to the bottom reason for my stubbornness on this issue. I had the very definition of SR and GR wrong. Sorry. I think I owe an apology to many people.

FactChecker said:
I had the very definition of SR and GR wrong.

As I commented earlier, so does the Gron paper that was referenced. There are other sources in the literature that also get this wrong; a big reason for that is that it took a fair amount of time after relativity was first discovered for physicists to get clear about this, because of the issue @Ibix mentioned with regard to non-inertial frames. Even Einstein wasn't entirely clear about it in all of his writings.

Likes vanhees71 and FactChecker
FactChecker said:
Does it have to do with the curvature of the space?
Yes. Flat spacetime is SR and curved spacetime is GR

Likes FactChecker and Vanadium 50
"True gravity", i.e. the gravitational interaction is within GR covariantly characterized by curvature. If there's no gravitational interaction (or rather can be neglected as in particle physics) then SR is valid.

Likes JD_PM, Ibix and FactChecker
Time Mentor said:
I am pointing out that time is is also affected by energy in space. An energytime.

This is personal theory, which is off limits here. You have now been banned from further posting in this thread.