Two basic physics 11 wave questions

In summary, the first question involves calculating the number of wavelengths between the two fixed ends of a guitar string and the number of wavelengths between the low end and a finger placed on a fret to determine the distance needed to play a higher note. The second question involves determining the range of pipes needed for a pipe organ based on the range of human hearing and the length of the pipes, which can be found using the equation \lambda = 4L/2n-1.
Kingsley
QUESTION 1

Homework Statement

A guitar string is 0.70m long and is tuned to play an E above middle C (330 Hz). How far from the end of this string must a finger be placed to play A above middle C (440Hz)

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2L/n
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = v/f
v = [tex]\lambda[/tex] x f

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2(0.70m)/1
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1.4m

v = (1.4m)(330Hz)
v = 462m/s

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = v/f
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 462m/s/440Hz
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1.05

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = L/2
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1.05m/2
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0.525m

that is the right math i don't know what to add to find how far to place your finger though, help/explanation would be appreciated.

QUESTION 2

Homework Statement

If you were to build a pipe organ with closed tube pipes spanning the range of human hearing (20 Hz to 20 kHz), what would be the range of pipes required?

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = v/f
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2L/n <<< SIDE NOTE: what's the difference between
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 4L/2n - 1 these two equations?

v/f = [tex]\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 340m/s/20Hz
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 17m

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 340m/s/20000Hz
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0.017m

i have no idea what to do after this any help would be appreicated. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kingsley said:
QUESTION 1

Homework Statement

A guitar string is 0.70m long and is tuned to play an E above middle C (330 Hz). How far from the end of this string must a finger be placed to play A above middle C (440Hz)

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = v/f

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2(0.70m)/1
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1.4m

v = (1.4m)(330Hz)
v = 462m/s

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = v/f
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 462m/s/440Hz
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1.05

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = L/2
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1.05m/2
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0.525m

that is the right math i don't know what to add to find how far to place your finger though, help/explanation would be appreciated.

QUESTION 2

Homework Statement

If you were to build a pipe organ with closed tube pipes spanning the range of human hearing (20 Hz to 20 kHz), what would be the range of pipes required?

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = v/f
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2L/n <<< SIDE NOTE: what's the difference between
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 4L/2n - 1 these two equations?

v/f = [tex]\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 340m/s/20Hz
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 17m

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 340m/s/20000Hz
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0.017m

i have no idea what to do after this any help would be appreicated. thanks in advance.

Welcome to the PF. On the first question, I don't think I'd bother calculating the velocity of propagation on the string. When the string is plucked, how many wavelengths are there between the two fixed ends? And when you place your finger on a fret to shorten the string to get the higher note, how many wavelengths are there on the vibrating string between the low end and your finger?

On the second question, are the pipes on an organ a full wavelength long? I honestly don't know, but you could easily google or wikipedia search to figure that out. The rest of what you are doing there looks like a good approach.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. On the first question, I don't think I'd bother calculating the velocity of propagation on the string. When the string is plucked, how many wavelengths are there between the two fixed ends? And when you place your finger on a fret to shorten the string to get the higher note, how many wavelengths are there on the vibrating string between the low end and your finger?

On the second question, are the pipes on an organ a full wavelength long? I honestly don't know, but you could easily google or wikipedia search to figure that out. The rest of what you are doing there looks like a good approach.

i don't know for the first one would you subtract 0.7m - 0.525m?

and for the second one you would use [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 4L[tex]/[/tex]2n-1 would the answer be 4.25m to 0.00425m?

i had both the right answers but i eraced them and i can't tell what the final answer would be for both them

Last edited:

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without transporting matter.

2. What are the two types of waves?

The two types of waves are transverse waves and longitudinal waves. Transverse waves have oscillations perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer, while longitudinal waves have oscillations parallel to the direction of energy transfer.

3. What is the wavelength of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave is the distance between two consecutive points that are in phase, meaning they have the same position and direction of oscillation.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

The relationship between frequency and wavelength is inverse. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

5. How is wave speed calculated?

Wave speed is calculated by multiplying the frequency of the wave by its wavelength. This is represented by the equation v = fλ, where v is wave speed, f is frequency, and λ is wavelength.